Glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
B-Day (brew day) is quickly approaching and I'm going over all my plans. My brother suggested we buy new carboys instead of using 30 year old one's our parents used when they were our age. After reading some horror stories about breaking carboys I tend to agree.

Would you clean and use a 30 year old carboy full of dust and coins or just go with new ones?

glass is very sturdy

I would clean them very well ... let them dry and test smell it !

than if everything is ok sanitize and brew away !

Hmm depends on just how bad. A good Oxyclean soak and then a sanitizer should get glass pretty clean.

Yep, just clean and inspect. But be very very careful with those things. If you do decide to buy new, you may want to consider purchasing a better bottle or at least a good carboy carrier.

Something might be said for the thickness/quality/workmanship of 30 year old carboys as opposed to stuff made in the cheap ass disposable culture of the 21st century...

Take a look at the bottom, and see if anything's etched on it. Today's carboys are either made in china or mexico...You might have some pre-globalization made in the USA thick glass and really sturdy carboys....Something made to last.

Of course if you are going to replace them, seriously consider the better bottles... After the glass one I got with my kit, I have subsequently gone with the BB's and will continue to do so in the future. I feel safer with them.

The bottom of my carboys have a "cracked mud" design with a single "I" in the center. I have no idea where they were made but if I had to guess they were made in Indiana in the early 70's - so they are probably even pushing 40. They are really in great shape - I cleaned one up and it looks brand new. Very thick and sturdy. I'm not sure if it is a 5 or 6.5 gal though.

I think I'm going to get some better bottles to start with. I would feel a lot safer and these are so old I wouldn't want anything to happen to them just due to the sentimental value.

lngarrett said:
I think I'm going to get some better bottles to start with. I would feel a lot safer and these are so old I wouldn't want anything to happen to them just due to the sentimental value.

You won't regret that. Hold onto the carboys for anything that you want to do REAL long-term aging (like a huge Barleywine), but for everyday brews Better Bottles are awesome.

Back