First mead - used molasses. Did I done goofed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outback_brewhouse

Reaction score
Heyo,
I typically brew wines and fail miserably at brewing beers. I tried my hand at a mead. The honey was about to push me over my budget, so I bought a few pounds of molasses.

In my 5 gallon batch of apple cyser, I used:
8.5 pounds wildflower honey
2.5 pounds molasses
2 gallons fresh apple cider
2 gallons water
Lalvin 71B-1122 cider yeast

Of course, I used molasses without giving any thought at all to how potent the resulting flavors would be.

Is this brew salvageable? :'(

HI Outback! No irony intended, but if you like the flavor of molasses (absent its sweetness) then you haven't goofed*. But wine ain't beer and while it does take about the same effort to make 1 gallon of wine as it does 5, it is often better to make a one gallon batch with say, 2 pounds of honey than to go for broke and make a five gallon batch that you have to adulterate with other sugars...
I certainly don't consider myself or my actions as the gold standard but I have single gallon batches of lilac, ginger, heather, cyser, braggot, chocolate, t'ej meads amongst many others all quietly aging and these are all single gallon batches because of the particular varieties of honey I wanted to use

* why the asterisk? Because you diluted your batch with water. Why add water if you have apple juice to hydrate the honey? Adding the same volume of water as apple juice will make the apple juice taste like... water. There is just enough water in apple juice to make the apple juice taste fine. Diluting the juice with water may make sense if the only issue was one of quantity but as I argue, quantity should never be the issue in wine making - quality is. I will step off my hobby horse.

Heyo,
I typically brew wines and fail miserably at brewing beers. I tried my hand at a mead. The honey was about to push me over my budget, so I bought a few pounds of molasses.

In my 5 gallon batch of apple cyser, I used:
8.5 pounds wildflower honey
2.5 pounds molasses
2 gallons fresh apple cider
2 gallons water
Lalvin 71B-1122 cider yeast

Of course, I used molasses without giving any thought at all to how potent the resulting flavors would be.

Is this brew salvageable? :'(

It still might be OK. Fermented molasses has a funky flavour IMHO, but that being said, I have used it in small amounts with success. I'd let that fermentation proceed & see what you get. Even if it turns out you don't like it, you might still be able to blend it and get something tasty.
Good luck, GF.

You're worried about the sulfur flavor correct? I would age it, and age it real good.

HI Outback! No irony intended, but if you like the flavor of molasses (absent its sweetness) then you haven't goofed*. But wine ain't beer and while it does take about the same effort to make 1 gallon of wine as it does 5, it is often better to make a one gallon batch with say, 2 pounds of honey than to go for broke and make a five gallon batch that you have to adulterate with other sugars...
I certainly don't consider myself or my actions as the gold standard but I have single gallon batches of lilac, ginger, heather, cyser, braggot, chocolate, t'ej meads amongst many others all quietly aging and these are all single gallon batches because of the particular varieties of honey I wanted to use

* why the asterisk? Because you diluted your batch with water. Why add water if you have apple juice to hydrate the honey? Adding the same volume of water as apple juice will make the apple juice taste like... water. There is just enough water in apple juice to make the apple juice taste fine. Diluting the juice with water may make sense if the only issue was one of quantity but as I argue, quantity should never be the issue in wine making - quality is. I will step off my hobby horse.

I was running with a modified recipe that called for 4 pounds of honey and two gallons of apple juice for a low ABV cyser. The apple flavor actually came out well enough in the must. Maybe I'll luck out because the molasses largely condensed on the bottom, and perhaps I can siphon the majority of the brew off the resulting layer of metabolized molasses and yeast sludge.
I didn't have any glass carboys available to me, and I had a 5 gallon fermenter waiting in the wings anyway. I figured I may as well shoot for a 5 gallon batch rather than shell out more for carboys, but I've learned my lesson, lol.

It still might be OK. Fermented molasses has a funky flavour IMHO, but that being said, I have used it in small amounts with success. I'd let that fermentation proceed & see what you get. Even if it turns out you don't like it, you might still be able to blend it and get something tasty.
Good luck, GF.

I think that's what I'll have to do; I already have two one-gallon pumpkin mead batches planned, and using more pumpkin in those batches and using them to cut the flavor of my 5 gallon batch would probably turn out wonderfully. Thanks!

You're worried about the sulfur flavor correct? I would age it, and age it real good.

I'm sure I'll have to, for at least 6 months...

Back