First time Brewer, Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orlandocruz

Reaction score
First time brewer here, got a donor scoby on Sunday the 21st.
Came home brewed my tea, and added the scoby early Tuesday Morning the 23rd.
Now it is afternoon Friday the 26th, decided to check the Brew and found a small very dark colored mass in the brew.
In the Picture from the top you can see the small dark mass in the left side, from what I can see it is not fuzzy.
I took a side photo in the light, you can see a jellyfish looking sack that runs from the top to the bottom of the jar,
this sack is coming from the small dark mass seen in the first picture.

please help is this normal???

11667101_488529064647374_1680595259_n.jpg

11653423_488529367980677_1920555252_n.jpg

That is fine. If it bothers you just pull it out with a clean utensil. If it was me I'd likely leave it until my next brew. Basically because I wouldn't look at it until I was ready to drink/ bottle. But my teas have had masses like that in them. Can't speculate what it is.

Update, so I have taken the advise of many and removed the mass with a baster, interestingly the mass was not exactly as I had thought, it was actually a bunch of brown slimy looking stuff possibly yeast, once sucked up the color returned back to normal.

Been drinking from it and still living praise the Lord!
Thanks to everyone for their help!
God Bless

That's just an overgrowth of yeast. It's fine. Next batch add extra apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp per quart of tea) to increase acidity and thereby discourage yeast overgrowth.

Update, so I have taken the advise of many and removed the mass with a baster, interestingly the mass was not exactly as I had thought, it was actually a bunch of brown slimy looking stuff possibly yeast, once sucked up the color returned back to normal.

Been drinking from it and still living praise the Lord!
Thanks to everyone for their help!
God Bless

How did it taste? How long was it left brewing for?

Back