First Booch Brew- Is my Scoby healthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionTime

Reaction score
Hey all-

First post, and I assume, asking a question that gets asked a lot: Does my scoby look healthy? This is my first batch of kombucha, and I started it without a starter scoby. It's been fermenting just over two weeks. I actually did try a bit to see what it tasted like- It had the most vinegar-y flavor of any kombucha I've ever had. It gets pretty warm in here during the day, so I may have let it go a tad long. Anyway, let me know what you think about the scoby, and if I should start pumping my stomach or not. Thanks all!

20150617_181448.jpg

Well all, I'm still alive after drinking a half a glass worth of the brew. No after effects either! :cool: But do please let me know if it looks healthy to you. Because to me.. none of them look healthy. Ever, haha. Makes you wonder how the first kombucha culture got started..

Thanks for the reply skadalajara. I bottled my brew last night, and now the scoby is incubating a new batch. I'm enjoying the process. It's kind of like having a pet. A delicious pet you get to drink.

Assuming there is no blue or green film on it, and the photo is just fuzzy due to quality, your SCOBY looks fine. It's a tad on the gnarly side, but you should be OK.

All of that brown is an overgrowth of yeasts. Next batch, add apple cider vinegar (1 Tbsp per Quart of tea) to increase the acidity and to retard the yeast growth.

Yeah that's moldy. Try some, it will taste really repulsive. Shouldn't kill you doing so.

Back