1) how to use oak chips? 2) how to make it sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdweil

Reaction score
Two questions:

1) I've got 5 gallons of cherry brett brux that been fermenting for a bit and I'd like to add oak chips to impart a bit of that flavor. I'm thinking about adding 1oz of oak cubes from the HBS t gain that flavor. Since I've never added oak cubes before, what is the best way to do that? How long should I let it sit, two months?

2) I also have 5 gallons of raspberry brett brux that is way too sweet for me and I want to bottle it soon. Would adding 1oz of liquid lactic acid make this sour?

Thanks!

1) Depends on how powerful the flavors are of the beer. You have to taste it every so often till its what you want. (maybe every week or so, then more often when its close to what you want). Some will boil the cubes or at least give them a few soaks to take out the initial super oak-ie-ness of it so it doesn't overpower the beer. Its all about balance and personal preference.

2) Adding synthetic lactic acid gives it a weird taste they say. It either needs to ferment longer so the brett can slowly chomp through those sugars that are making it taste too sweet or if this beer is several months (like 9+ old) then maybe blending it against a dry base beer will do it.

What's the gravity on the sweet beer? What yeast strains did you use? How long has it been fermenting? Fermentation temp?

I would say adding lactic acid is a quick band aid at best and I don't think you'll be happy with the end results if you were looking for a sour beer...patience is critical with sour\brett beers.

The gravity is at 1.012
I used WLP644 Brett Brux
The temp is 62F
It has been fermenting since June

The sample I took just tasted too sweet for it sitting this long. I've made this before and it was more sour than this batch. I did everything the same, i'm just a but perplexed.

1) 2 months should be good, 1oz wont get overly oaky to have to fret tasting it that often

2) i wouldnt. if you want it sour, i'd add some dregs to it and wait another 6-12 months. is the sweetness just from the raspberry or the beer itself?

btw, 644 is brux trois, very different than brett brux. in any case it wouldnt be sour just from using brett.

also was this a 644 primary or secondary? if primary, this was finished months ago

Back