Altbier anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I have been trying different beers and this past week I had a micro brewery built
AltBier. I liked it alot. It was sweet, I would like to brew a sweet version. I hear there are bitter styles. The sample I had in no way was bitter. It was smooth sweet almost buttery. very nice stuff.

I would like to brew this myself but don't have a recipe.

Does anyone have one that you would be willing to share? I have done 3 All grain brews so far and many extract. have been brewing 2 years in January.

My mentor is comming to my place in two weeks to do a brew session together so I can get a refresher and see again who a 30 year pro does it.

gregg

Here's a pretty traditional recipe.

To get a sweeter profile, mash your grains at the higher end...more like 158-160.

That will keep the fermentability on the lower end and the beer will finish sweeter.

In the recipe, you could dial down the hops a bit, though they are already at the low end for that style. You could also lower the pils and up the munich, which will also finish maltier and sweeter.

Back