Ideal bottle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
I use 22 oz. bottles. I fill a few 12 oz. bottles to give away since I got tired of chasing my bottles down. What's the ideal size. Does it make a difference in aging or conditioning. I guess what I'm really asking is and I know I'm leaving myself open for this one, Does size really matter?

Size only maters in the eye of the drinker. It depends how many tops you want to pop during a drinking session... Or what size your comfortable in handling. Some people can't handle the big bottles well....:D

according to my wife and most brewers, size doesn't matter, the taste isn't affected.

The bigger the better!!! Ha, no seriously...it doesn't matter when it comes to the quality of the beer. I bottle mine like so: (24) 12-oz bottles, then the rest in various large-format bottles. Usually works out to 12 of them. Some are 1L growlers, some are 750mL cap-tops, and the majority are 22oz and 17.5oz cap-tops. I like the variety, because it allows me to regulate how much I'm drinking or how much I'm taking with me when I travel.

I also usually do a mix of bigger bottles and 12 oz. bottles, unless I'm bottling Apfelwine or barley wine, then I typically use only 12 oz. bottles.

Being the lush I am, I only use 16 ounce Grolsch bottles, or 22 ounce bomber sizes unless I know in advance that I want to do a swap or something with 12 ounces. I'm in the process of giving away cases of 12 ouncers, since I rarely use them.

Back