Fresh Hops in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried tried dropping one fresh hops bud in each bottle at bottling time? Would think this would add a great flavor and aroma plus being a little novelty, the challenge would be pouring. I guess you could pour through a strainer into your glass unless you want the leaves right in there with the beer. Also I assume it would cloud the beer up some. Thinking of trying this with my next IPA but wondering if its been done before

well it would be a novelty for the hops heads out there, I think they'd appreciate it... IF it made the taste and aroma good. I'm usually pouring for my friends anyway...

Would a single fresh hops bud stay together in the bottle or come apart?

Biggest issue I see is how long the dry hop will be in the brew, in the bottle. Normally, you don't dry hop for more than 14 days (at room/bottle carbonating temps), unless you want grassy flavors added to a brew. So the amount of time it takes to bottle carbonate (3 weeks at 70F) will result in grassy flavors in the bottles. IMO, not worth doing.

Ah good point. Would the type of hops help determine the amount of grassiness, maybe some varieties less than others?

I hear about people putting fresh hops in their keg when they rack to the keg, with great results. But maybe they are force carbonating and drinking within two weeks?

I sometimes add fresh/dry hops to a keg just before it goes into the brew fridge for carbonating and then serving. At those temperatures (under 45F) you have a lot longer to drink the brew before you get any off flavors. At 70F (or above) your time is seriously short.

I've had a keg in the brew fridge, with whole hops added, last about 6 weeks and had no off flavors present. Most of the time, I keep my brews in the 40-42F range.

Yeah so this doesn't sound like a great idea based on the 2+ weeks at room temp=grassy.

Why don't you give it a try in a couple of bottles, when the next person asks the same question you will be able to give a verified answer, after all hops was once put in to the barrels.

Yep was thinking the same thing I will drop a bud in a couple bottles next time I bottle an IPA, let them carb at room temp for 2-3 weeks, then chill. I'll try one a couple days after chilling and another a couple weeks after that.

The hop will turn into a disgusting ball of mush. (based on actual experiment vs opinion)

A friend of mine got a commercial brew from somewhere in wisconson that had hop cones in the bottle, don't remember what it was called but he said it wasn't grassy and the cones came out intact, had pictures on untapd to prove it. I brewed with wet hops last month and froze a couple to try to bottle dryhop, just put a cone in 4 bottles to test it out.

Just tried with pellets in an effort to expand my brewing experience. Carbed for seven days at 70 then stored at 52. No off flavors at day 28 but you will have hop bits if you dont pour carefully. Good experiment but i will stick with conventional dryhopping methods.

Back