black flakes in wort. did i burn something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystoner

Reaction score
after adding in the malted barley extract, i am noticing black flakes in my wort. did i burn something? this is a brand new and cleaned brew pot. i noticed that the recipe told me to take the pot off the burner after adding in the malted barley extract and stir, which i forgot to do. did i ruin this batch?

after adding in the malted barley extract, i am noticing black flakes in my wort. did i burn something? this is a brand new and cleaned brew pot. i noticed that the recipe told me to take the pot off the burner after adding in the malted barley extract and stir, which i forgot to do. did i ruin this batch?

It sounds like you scorched some extract on the bottom. If it's not too bad, the wort/beer won't taste burnt and it will be fine (but the pot may be hard to clean!).

Next time, take the pot off of the burner when you add extract.

you may have burnt some extract, but you certainly didn't ruin the batch. those flakes will fall out during fermentation. no worries!

Can this alter the gravity?

Only if you burnt a lot of the sugar. Like everyone else mentioned, it will likely all drop out in fermentation. I did the same thing once back when I used to brew with extract. That beer was one of my best extract brews ever! No worries!

If you steeped some grains you could have some particles from them floating around. Don't worry about it

On a side note, to clean the bottom of the now extract scorched pot, one would just heat up some h2o and some PBW and let it sit and scrub to remove it correct? I may or may not have done th same thing on my last brew...

On a side note, to clean the bottom of the now extract scorched pot, one would just heat up some h2o and some PBW and let it sit and scrub to remove it correct? I may or may not have done th same thing on my last brew...

You could also try some Bar Keepers Friend. That stuff is amazing!

Stauffbier said:
You could also try some Bar Keepers Friend. That stuff is amazing!

Yes it is. There are 2 magical things I've discovered over the last few years: Bar Keepers Friend and FermCap S... won't brew without 'em!

Back