Choosing Hops for AAA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
So I have been working on a recipe for an Amber Ale. I think I got the grain bill to a workable place, but I can't decide on the hops. I was thinking of using Glacier hops for flavor/aroma, but now I am having second thoughts. I was thinking of subbing the Glacier for Crystal (Temporarily out of stock at my brew shop) or Mount Rainier hops. But I don't quite know what flavor I should be shooting for or what the difference will be between these hops.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.3 gal
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 30.1
Color (SRM): 14.9
ABV: 4.9%

[Grains]
Two-row (US) 7.000lb Grain 79.0%
Crystal 50-60L (British) 1.000lb Grain 9.9%
Crystal 120L 0.500lb Grain 4.9%
Munich (US) .500lb Grain 4.9%
Chocolate Malt (US) 0.125lb Grain 1.2%

[Hops]
Magnum 0.60oz 12.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 25.3 IBU
Glacier 0.50oz 5.5% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 4.8 IBU
Glacier 0.75oz 5.5% AA Pellet @ 0 min, 0.0 IBU

[Yeast/Other]
American Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

I love using nugget as a dual purpose hop in my amber ale. One 60 min or FWH bittering addition plus a 15 min and 0 min like you have listed.

Nugget = peach, stone fruits, some subtle herbal and earthy traits...not much citrus, spice, or pungent resin.

Regardless if you use Nugget or not, I would load up some more on the late hops. Centennial and Amarillo would be nice. The 25 IBUs with Magnum at 60 seems reasonable to me, but I would'nt be afraid of 45-55 overall IBUs.

I don't want it to be overly hoppy, I was hoping for a crisp balanced taste, probably no more hoppy than 2 below by New Belgium.

bobbrews said:
Nugget = peach, stone fruits, some subtle herbal and earthy traits...not much citrus, spice, or pungent resin.

I personally get quite a bit of earthy resinous flavor with just a hint of peach from Nugget....

I have made an amber with Glacier at FWH and then Glacier at 15 and Cascade dry hop that came out very nice. And my house amber is all Summit (tangerine flavor). You just need to decide what flavors your looking to pair with the crystal malts.

Back