NB Surly Furious Clone IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I'm going to brew the Northern Brewer Surly Furious clone kit tomorrow. I plugged the recipe into beersmith and it show 108 IBU's.

The bittering hops are .5oz Amarillo (first wort) and 1.75oz Warrior (60 minutes)

My question is, since I've never tasted the commercial version, does this beer have harsh bitterness? I don't care at all for super bitter beers, but I love huge hop aroma. Which is good, because the kit comes with 8.5 oz of dry hops!

Could I just use 1 or 1.25 oz of the warrior to bring it down to 70-80 IBU's? Would this make the beer more to my liking? Or does this beer require that many IBU's to taste good and balanced? I'm using wlp 007 dry english ale so I'm sure it will attenuate enough.

Your input is appreciated.

Oh, it's bitter and hoppy alright! But not harshly bitter. Keep in mind that the most IBUs you can actually get in suspension are more like 100 IBUs or less. I don't think I could tell the difference between a 80 IBU and 100 IBU, especially with all the late hops in that recipe. I'd make it as written.

It is nearly impossible to truly exceed 100 IBU I don't care what your brewing software tells you.

And like Yooper says, there is not much detectible difference between 80 and 100 anyway.

That kit was designed with the help of Surly head brewer Todd Haug. Make the kit as is.

Back