Wyeast 2206 starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
I had 2 packs of this yeast to make a starter with for my bock. When I opened the packages they smelled pretty bad. Is this normal? I went ahead and used a cup of DME with 1300ml of water and boiled that for 15 min. It's been 8 hours now and there's no activity in the starter flask. When I smacked the pack and let it sit for a while they both started to balloon up so I think they were good. How much longer should I wait? I've read this one is slow.

So the starter really started to take off last night and all day today. It is still going strong with lots of bubbling and a white cake on the bottom of the vial. How long should I let it go before chilling and then decant for pitching? I will be pitching the slurry at the wort temp ~53F.

I read most of the yeast is multiplied out around 48hrs maltosefalcon.com web site on yeast (excellent resource), I try to chill for 48hrs or longer before decanting but some time it is as little as 18hrs.

Clem

just relax. 36 to 48 hours is typical. also, 2 smackpacks in 1.3L may be too high a concentration of yeast, leading to less growth.

Latest posts

Back