raspberry rose hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
Raspberry Hefeweizens are great, I'm thinking along the lines of Abita purple haze here. Smoking a hookah the other day with raspberry and rose tobacco, I realized how well these two flavors go together. A little bit of rose really enhances raspberry...so, I thought I would start with this:

6.6 lbs wheat DME
12 IBU hallertauer hops, single addition
WhiteLabs Hefe yeast
Oregon raspberry puree in secondary

So that's a pretty simple raspberry wheat. The question is, how much rose to add, and how to add it? I'm not sure whether I should use this very strong (and good) rose water stuff I have found at the local middle eastern deli, rose petals, or rose hips (which I've never even had). I'm leaning towards rose hips and petals, since I want the beer to have some color. But I've never even seen an actual rose hip, and haven't ever used rose petals in food - so I'm hoping some of you guys have some ideas or might have used roses before. So what do you think?

Surely someone here has used rose in a beer before! I'm dying here! :drunk:

The rose idea intrigues me. I run across wild rose hips while out fly-fishing quite often. I think i'll harvest and dry about a 1/4lb and try adding them as an aromatic in the last 15 minutes of a boil. I'm thinking that the flavor would go nice in an amber ale. Rose hip tea has a tart flavor with a floral aftertaste.

Back