re-starting suck mead ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibrewdou

Reaction score
hello all, i'm currently working my way out of an apparent stuck mead fermentation, occurring in secondary after 3 months or so. gravity when i racked it into third carboy was 0.030. there had been no action at all for several weeks. temp was 66' or so. it tasted very good but was still sweet. this is to be a basic dry mead with 12 lbs. of clover hony and wyeast liquid mead yeast, nutrient and dap to start. wish i knew then what i know now. i didn't add new yeast, nutrient or dap at racking to secondary. but it continued to ferment fine. slooooooowwwww, but steadily. I know it's supposed to get claer and possibly to "zero" gravity so i know somethings not right. so, after racking to third-ary i added dry champaign yeast and dap. It foamed! it all settled out and i solid-stopper plugged and rolled to distribute the yeast. it was bubbling slowly and i warmed it to 73' over night with heating pad on low. then this morning good yeast cake settled on bottom, re-roused the yeast and it's currently 72' and slowly burping. i'm to just be patient now and let it do its thing? i don't think i aerated it originally other than ouring into carboy. i know i didn't when i racked it. i have an airstone i've been itching to try, shoul i aerate the mead and if so for how long? suggestions are welcome, come too far and it tastes too good to let things fall apart. thanks to all :confused: but :)

Did you use a sweet mead yeast? I hate to switch up the yeast so late in the game, but that might be your best bet.

Other options that have been told me when I have the same problem is to add more nutrient, energizer, and yes, more honey (mix a pound or so with some of your existing must first).

The idea behind that is that only the strong, healthy and alcohol tolerant yeast strains have survived this long, so when you refeed them you are feeding the new superior surviving strain, invigorating a new generation. And its always a good idea to add nutrient throughout the fermentation anyways, since the bane of mead is honeys lack of nutrients.

I'm not sure I've heard of adding honey to a stuck fermentation, hmmmm. Interesting it works.

Read Hightest's mead faqs, I know he has a section on restarting a stuck mead. One method I have used with good results has been repitching with a more aggressive yeast, like kv1116 or ec1118

Back