Brewing traditions and/or superstitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
I am wondering, do any of you have any traditions that you always uphold on your brew day or during your brewing process that others may think are silly or useless?

I took Astrology courses for a couple of years a while back and am just now starting to dabble in the knowledge once again. I am starting to note certain planetary aspects on my brew days and will be charting how these affect my beers. This should help me to plan my brew days better.

Being a student of the Nordic Runes for a good decade as well, I also have every intention to create runic charms to put on my fermenters to help things along. :mug:

Do you have a specific fermenter for certain beers, a family mash paddle, a prayer or meditation that you use during your brewing? I'd be interested to hear :)

Myself and anyone involved in the brew day is required to wear a Star Wars shirt. It's not superstitious, just makes good sense.

I'm required to listen to Octane on Sirius and have a hot scotchy from the current batch. Heathen that I am, the only time God gets brought into it is when I screw up! Blasphemer!!! :D

Ha, I like this thread. Nothing weird here, but this should be good reading.

I'm ten sessions into my brewing life but every since the first one I have turned on I tunes and cranked up my Reverend Maynard Playlist, Taken a shower and preceded to start my journey. Thank heavens it's Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wear sandals or go bare foot when I brew, which is incredibly stupid being that there is hot water transferred all the time. I believe it keeps me on my toes. :cross:

I also always where a t shirt that has a tie painted on it. I bought into the whole dress the part saying. I want to be a professional brewer one day.;)

I always wear a tinfoil hat when I brew. That keeps the alien mind control beams from making me screw up my brew and the planets aligned.
That, and I keep everything clean.

Wychwood Brewery only pitches yeast during the full moon. It is a fact that the yeast are more active during this cycle of the moon. With that thought in mind I can sort of understand why one may want to track planets.

There is also a brew day superstions thread that got started awhile ago, that may have more of what you are looking for.

I always have a commercial style of what im brewing (I do mostly clones) I spill a little in the boil

I also stole this from someone on this forum: When I see a vigorous the next day i sing "Who let the yeast out.. who.. who... who let the yeast out!"

I am so superstitious I always make sure I sanitize everything and add the yeast at just the right temperature.

Before I mash-in, I ring a G-flat handbell 21 times while standing inside a flaming circle of aerosol brake cleaner to drive away demons.
Works like a charm. :rockin:
fire.gif
:rockin:

I always drink during brewing, no matter what time of day or night. I don't, however, get drunk though...safety reasons more than superstition. It's a tradition though!

I also wear some shirt with beer or a beer related slogan on it, but that's more because I can't wear them to work. So, sort of a tradition...not really....hmm...derailing thread.....

davefleck said:
I brew in the nude. Winter is rough and the neighbours have asked that I move to the back yard.

Something about "nude" and "back yard" in the same post seems a bit off... ;)

My tradition is to drink one of my favorite home brews for good luck while brewing.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Zamial said:
Wychwood Brewery only pitches yeast during the full moon. It is a fact that the yeast are more active during this cycle of the moon. With that thought in mind I can sort of understand why one may want to track planets.

There is also a brew day superstions thread that got started awhile ago, that may have more of what you are looking for.

I just heard an interview with a brewer at Wychwood, and he said they brew 3-4 times a week. Do they let the wort sit around until the full moon?

I am not saying they don't, just seems awfully risky.

I take a mean **** and try to get my finger to poke through the TP. Then I don't wash my hands and immediately pitch my yeast and stir the wort with my hand. It's awesome.

OK, I lied, I only do this during full moons. :D

I believe its crucial to drink a beer while you brew beer. If you dont the brew will probably suck

I took Astrology courses for a couple of years a while back and am just now starting to dabble in the knowledge once again.

By using the words astrology and knowledge in the same sentence, all of your beer for the next seven years will be soured.

My personal habit is to add a pinch of salt (about 1/16 of a tsp) to every boil. I came to home brewing through cooking, and you ALWAYS add salt to cuisine, especially if you are French.

I'm a believer that in order to make good wort, you have to be a good cook. To make good beer, you have to have impulse control to not F#*& up what your yeast are doing for you. Discipline plus patience.

A pinch of salt reminds me that I'm making barley stock, and barley stock takes precision, time, and care.

I tend to drink while both brewing and cooking. That might be why I'm attracted to them.

I also stole this from someone on this forum: When I see a vigorous the next day i sing "Who let the yeast out.. who.. who... who let the yeast out!"

Oh great, now I'm going to have to incorporate this into my brewing ritual!

I just heard an interview with a brewer at Wychwood, and he said they brew 3-4 times a week. Do they let the wort sit around until the full moon?

I am not saying they don't, just seems awfully risky.
The full moon yeast thing is actually advertised on their bottles. Since I am not an employee I can only guess that they do let the wort sit...

What ever style I'm brewing, I drink a commercial version of that while brewing. It's easy enough when you're making clones, but I've found it hard to find Oktoberfests in April. I've brewed a few beers I've never had commercial examples of too, which made it difficult to stick with tradition, ie: my Banana Wheat Beer last fall. About 60 brews in now, it's been fun :)

So,I guess there's no "bad moon on the rise"? We don't really have any traditions or superstitions. Save for brewing together,then having some beers after pitching & setting up the blow off. I'm always wearing a rock or tuner guy tee shirt though. When I mentored my wife on her 2nd brew last Wednesday,I was wearing my Judas Priest tee from the reunion tour at blossom in '04. Rockin show,where Tipton,Downing,& Rob were talking back & forth at us,for all three of us showing up in old school jeans,boots,& black leather. I was skinnier then,though I still have those boots & leathers.
I can still hear Rob..."& even now,I can still see some black leather waaay up in the back". Then came the big spotlight. So,I guess my Priest tee might become a ritual,since the Summer ale clone I came up with for momma to brew had the strongest ferment ever! Or would that be a superstition? You decide...

Back