Using a wheat-beer yeast in non-wheat beers to avoid having to chill bottles upright?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
Some of the non-beer-afficionado people that drink my beer often struggle a bit with the idea of pouring the beer gently into a glass so as to not disturb the yeast. It's mildly galling as they then say "Your beer would be great if it didn't have the gross-tasting sludge in it". The only beer where I didn't have a problem with this was with my American Wheat. When I made that beer, I used the WB-06 dry yeast, and at the time was disappointed with it because it gave little or no flavor to the beer. But as the yeast itself was drinkable, it meant that people who've never had bottle-conditioned beer could drink it without the need for me to give them a lecture on pouring first. That in itself was great, as it meant I didn't need to worry about standing next to the fridge all night explaining about "sludge".

However, that got me thinking. I wonder whether I could make a non-wheat beer (something like a pale ale or IPA) using WB-06 or other drinkable yeast at low temps. The aim would be to get a beer with little or no wheat-yeast aromas, but a yeast sediment that people could drink - thus avoiding any need for chilling upright. I assume it'd be less clear than other beers, but if that was the only trade-off I'd be happy to take that.

I'd just really like to have a beer that I could hand to a complete beer-ignorant stranger without having to give them a lecture on how to pour it first. And it'd also be much easier to chill beers in my fridge if they didn't have to stand upright the whole time. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts on it?

Even with wheat yeasts you will still have the small cake on the bottom or side of bottle depending on how it lays. The benefit is that wheat yeast does have little flavor and the average nondiscerning person will not even notice it. The yeast will eventually floculate and drop out of suspension.

I'd just really like to have a beer that I could hand to a complete beer-ignorant stranger without having to give them a lecture on how to pour it first. And it'd also be much easier to chill beers in my fridge if they didn't have to stand upright the whole time. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts on it?

I print my batch info on a page with "this is info about this batch and how to drink homebrew in general." Then I rubberband it around the bottle. That way they have the info but i don't have to repeat it or lecture.

If they still dork it up (complain about yeast, don't return bottle, return bottle with yeast cake) then they are off the Free Beer list.

Forgot to mention. I have carbed on their side. As long as you stand them up for the last day or so the yeast basically settles back down where it should be.

Back