Burned up my stirer, will THIS work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
OKAY... so I saw some ppl using the replacement Broan exhaust fan motors for building stirers, didnt work. After modifying the heck out of my impeller, it was still too much for the little motor and it is toast. The rest of my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid HERMS is complete, QDs and all! The issue now is my toasted motor for the HERMS.
I am looking at buying a geared motor from McMaster-Carr, 75-100 RPM and 7-10 lbs of torque. Anyone know if this will suffice to turn a small impeller in my water tank? Here is the part number at McMaster-Carr 6142k49. I would hope that 7lbs of torque would suffice to turn a 2" dia impeller at 100 RPM. Any suggestions?

I will get pics up sometime this week....

This is only to stir WATER, not the mash, this is to circulate the HERMS water around the electric heating element and the HERMS coil. Thanks yall.

Funny this thread came up as I was just out in the brewery experimenting on this very thing. I took out cheap cake mixer, with only one of the two mixing blades on it, and taped a popsickle stick to it as a propeller. I was curious how much torque was really needed to stir 15 gallons of water. To my suprise, it worked great. I had to actually back it down to about medium as the vortex it created was splashing water over the top...

I'm still not certain what I'll end up with as a solution, but this pretty much proved to me that it doesn't take much torque to do the job. Controlling the RPMs seems the most important...

I will me stirring anywhere from 5-9 gallons of water at a time... I was thinking that 100 RPM would suffice, and 10 lbs of torque would do the trick. The TINY fan motor was just not enough. I just need some movement in the tank, and being a cylindrical tank, it should not take alot to get a little whirlpool action going.

My HERMS has nothing that is 12V. It is all 120V AC powered. Thus my desire to keep with that and get a 115-120V motor.

Back