First Batch - Noob needs advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneStreet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am brand new to brewing. I have been browsing this site for quite a while.

I have my first batch in the secondary. It is a kit from beer-wine. Muntons light ale.

My question is this. My S.G. was 1.040. Exactly like the recipe said. It spent for days in the primary then I moved it to the secondary as the recipe said. Now it has been in the secondary for 10 days and the S.G. is 1.018 the recipe calls for a finishing gravity of 1.008. Should I just be patient?

Your fermentation could just be taking a while. It also could be stuck. If it doesn't go past 1.018 next time you take a reading head to homebrew headquarters in richardson and pick up some yeast energizer and a new yeast packet.

Yeah..you never should have racked till you reached you FG no matter what the instructions say. Most of us leave the beer in the fermentor for at least 2 weeks if not longer. The secondary is used to clear not to continue fermentation (leaving it in the primary for a month has the same effect.)

I would give the carboy a gentle nudge to kick up the yeast a bit, and leave it alone for a couple more weeks to let it finish out...DON'T BOTTLE til you are down to your og...You don't want bottle bombs do you?

Read the stickies in the beginner's forum (like "stone cold n00b advice") and through out the kit instructions.

Yeah, the instructions told me to move it when the gravity was half the original. Oh well, I will know for next time.

How long should I wait before getting the yeast energizer and more yeast?

lhard77 said:
Yeah, the instructions told me to move it when the gravity was half the original. Oh well, I will know for next time.

How long should I wait before getting the yeast energizer and more yeast?

I wouldn't add anything....I doubt the yeast is stuck, and I'm not in favor or repitching...consider wrapping a blanket around the carboy to warm it up a bit, and leave it alone for the next 2 weeks.

Check it then. It should be close....If not then possibly kickstart it, but I doubt you'll need to.

Since your primary is free, brew another batch asap....that'll take your mind off this one, and start building your pipeline up :D

Raising the temp is a good idea, Revvy.

You'll want to get it down a few points no matter what - including repitching. At that attenuation level you're asking for bottle bombs.

Thanks for the advice Revvy. I will try wrapping the blanket around it and leave it for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will get going.

I also am going to start another batch, so I will quit worrying about this one.

So would it be ok to start the next one and leave it in the Primary for a couple of weeks? Since my carboy is occupied now for at least a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the help!

lhard77 said:
Thanks for the advice Revvy. I will try wrapping the blanket around it and leave it for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will get going.

I also am going to start another batch, so I will quit worrying about this one.

So would it be ok to start the next one and leave it in the Primary for a couple of weeks? Since my carboy is occupied now for at least a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the help!

You'll be fine...You can leave it in your fermenter for a couple of months with no problems...If you leave it for a month in primary, and it fermented out at a normal pace of 1-2 weeks, leaving it in primary for a couple more weeks will allow the yeasts to clean up the beer...and you can skip the secondary.

I just answered that question in another thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64296

Good news! When I checked the carboy this morning there was activity in the airlock again! I lot of foam has built up on top of the beer again as well.

So for now my problem is solved.(I guess) Hopefully this second round of fermentation will get me to that F.G.!!:mug:

Now I just need to get that second batch brewing.

I guess your first couple of batches are the hardest since you don't have a stash of homebrew to enjoy while you wait!

A few of the guys and gals have also been saying the muntons yeast doesnt work too good if its too cool. So if you can keep your temp up around 70 degrees it is best for the muntons.

I usually make the cooper kist but im going to try the Muntons this weekend just to see how it turns out......

Im sure you beer will taste great once it is done :)

Cheers

I guess your first couple of batches are the hardest since you don't have a stash of homebrew to enjoy while you wait!

Haaaaaaate not having ready homebrew to drink. I've got an IPA flooded with Simcoe and Citra that's days away from drinking and it's killin' me having to wait, and my amber ale is already all gone :drunk:

Back