Very Dark Wild Honey Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
I have some Dark Wild Honey that I purchased on one of my trips to Ruidoso N.M. The Bee Keeper told me that she was not sure what the bees had gotten into, but the honey is Wonderful. I must admit it does have a great wild taste to it, but i dont know how it will be as a meed. I must also mention that it is much thicker than normal honey, but it has not crystallized as of yet.

Should I make a mead out of it? or will the Wild flavors be to much?

I still have about 2 lbs of it after eating some. As you may have guessed I am reluctant to use it because I cant get any more.

What are your thoughts?

I would just eat it if it's that good, the mead will make it taste a lot different then it does now.

how many pounds?

you could do a small batch and mix in some clover honey. that is common for darker honeys like buckwheat and eucalyptus, which can be too strong a flavor on their own, and the clover 'dilutes' it to something more pleasant.

It may be buckwheat! I just never seen it that dark, or thick for that matter! I have about 2# left, so I guess Could dilute it with some other honey and see how it comes out.

if it was buckweat you would know right off the back by the taste. In the fall i was looking for some honey for a cyser i was makeing and came across the dark honey you are talking about. it's most likely normal clover honey however the seasons change and so do the flowers and plant the bee's gather there polen from so from season to season the color of honey will change. so normal clover honey is a light tan color and collected in the sumer and spring the dark stuff is collected in the fall and slow winter months. hope this helps you enjoy would love to hear how its works for you:tank:

if its buckwheat, you should try to snag some clover or wildflower honey, another 1-2 lbs and make a gallon.

just a thought.

Back