Oxygen Purge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blokeyhighlander

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I did this right as this is my first time kegging.

I have a regulator going into a manifold dispersed into two kegs. I set the PSI to 30 for force carbing, but then read something about purging the oxygen. I cut the pressure off and released the pressure from the kegs.

On one keg, I had a ton of pressure come flying out when I did this, and on the other keg, I only had a border-line pathetic whiff of air come out.

Could this be because of differences in headroom? Could this point towards a leak or weak seal? Anything else at play here?

The less headroom you have in the keg, the less co2 will be purged.

That makes sense.

I called my wife during lunch and she said the keezer reeked off beer and she got dizzy when she stuck her head in there. I had to walk her through how to turn everything off and check for leaks. After spraying the connections with soapy water, leaks were detected as coming from the main o-ring.

My new 10# tank (just filled) started reading at 400psi (at ~35 degrees F) and is now slightly under that. Hopefully that's the only issue we have.

OK, now I'm not sure what's going on.

You ever stick your head into your fermentation chamber a take a big whiff and get that big burning sensation in your nose?

Well, I'm getting that when I stick my head in the keezer. The one keg never seems to release much or any pressure when I pull the release valve, and with everything connected I'm getting that strong stinging sensation when I go to smell in the keezer. I'm guessing since CO2 is odorless, this is probably a leak from the keg.

However, I am not seeing any bubbles when I spray soapy water on all the connections.

Help?

Latest posts

Back