Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale eon

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I am looking for brand-name, model suggestions for:

1) A room thermometer
I am using my basement at the moment which feels like its in the upper 60s but I don't know for sure and there is no thermostat down there

2) An instant read probe thermometer that can handle brew-day temps (highs and lows) and survive the sanitation process

Preferably both would be easy to read (bonus for LCD-type readouts) although thats less of an issue with the room thermo and more of a problem with the probe... but I digress.

Thanks in advance
AE

Here is the Thermometer that I use for brewing. It came highly recommended by many experienced AG brewers that I know. It's accuracy is traceable, which means that it is certified accurate. The probe is also waterproof, which is a huge plus for a homebrewer. The read speed is also very fast and it only costs $36!

As far as a dependable room thermometer, I would imagine that you could find one locally without much trouble. I have one in my cellar that I got from Lowes that has proven to be very accurate when compared to readings taken from my very expensive Raytek non-contact thermometer that I use for work.

For the basement get one that records high and low temps so you know what the range is.
You can get them digital or mercury.

johnsma22 said:
Here is the Thermometer that I use for brewing. It came highly recommended by many experienced AG brewers that I know. It's accuracy is traceable, which means that it is certified accurate. The probe is also waterproof, which is a huge plus for a homebrewer. The read speed is also very fast and it only costs $36!

As far as a dependable room thermometer, I would imagine that you could find one locally without much trouble. I have one in my cellar that I got from Lowes that has proven to be very accurate when compared to readings taken from my very expensive Raytek non-contact thermometer that I use for work.

I have one of these and love it, but it recently started reading about 20-30 deg F too high. I think maybe the battery is low, but I broke the plastic battery cover when I was taking it off and also lost the battery. Does anyone know what model battery it takes? Also, be careful screwing the battery cover back on, the plastic feet are very fragile!

The battery is a button cell 389A. Thanks for the heads up on the delicate battery cover.

olllllo said:
If you buy it here:
www.professionalequipment.com
and spend $100 total. (not sure how)
Use this code to save 15%
EM2162

That's the company that I linked to in my original post. They are great to deal with. I have used them for some other stuff as well, multi-meters and such.

target sells a $16 digital thermometer with stainless steel hose going to the sensor which is metal also and the thing has alarms and everything. Check it out in the small electronics section of supertarget.

gonzoflick said:
target sells a $16 digital thermometer with stainless steel hose going to the sensor which is metal also and the thing has alarms and everything. Check it out in the small electronics section of supertarget.

Those braided stainless sensor leads with the stainless probe on the end cannot get wet. The sensor can, but the lead can't. If it does get wet it will read incorrectly. The only way to correct it is to bake the lead, leaving the plastic connector tip outside the oven, at 350˚F for 20-30 inutes to dry it out. Been there! ;) That's why I sprung for Traceable, waterproof one I linked to.

gonzoflick said:

What I did with my thermometer was squeeze some high temp ATV gasket goop down into the space where the SS braid goes into the sensor. I still don't immerse it in the wort, but it's a safety measure in case it slips down into liquid further than it's supposed to go.

So far, I've accidentally dropped it into mash water and wort, no problems yet.

I have a pyrex probe mode... or should I say my wife has one. Its a timer and thermometer combo with a plug-in probe and it read 156 degrees F in the icebath, so I am thinking I shouldn't rely on it for my next batch.

Thanks for the lead on the traceable mini. I'll look to snag one soon.

AE

Latest posts

Back