How much do i purge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
I'm purging my keg. I used priming sugar for this keg. It's been two days and I have purged it approximately four times. Do I keep purging tell I have no more, or is this enough. Will my keg go flat if I purge too much? NewB

Wait what?

You primed your keg with priming sugar to allow the beer to naturally carb up, but have been purging (releasing the co2) the beer has made? That ain't how that works.

You purge the keg after racking the beer into it with the sugar just to push out the remaining o2 in the keg with fresh co2. THEN the beer makes it's own co2 that you DO NOT purge for 2-3 weeks until the keg carbs up like a bottle.

But I have to alllow it to build up co2 to let o2 out? Correct?

If you primed it, don't purge it. Just wait a few weeks for the priming sugar to ferm out and then toss it in the fridge and tap it. Your keg can hold way more pressure than your priming sugar can generate.

In the ideal situation, you would want to force purge with co2 from a co2 tank right after tossing the sugar in. Just a couple of simple purges at like 5psi is all you need to do right after priming. After that you'd want to let the co2 build up in the keg naturally, and not touch the release valve. If you don't have a co2 tank to force-purge in the beginning, that don't purge at all. You want to let that pressure build up in the keg and not release it for proper carbonation.

Back