Which do you prefer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer, a resiny IPA or a citrusy IPA?

• Resiny?

• Citrusy?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted citrusy, but I do also enjoy an English IPA with what I would describe as 'earthy' and 'floral' hops, and a nice fruity English yeast profile.

That's actually what prompted the question. I generally prefer citrusy, but I recently brewed a really good English IPA. Then tonight I had a really nice resiny/earthy imperial.

Love the earthy notes of a good English style IPA......East Kent Goldings....Fuggles....English Challanger....Yum!

Voted Citrusy

W/O one of each in hand I couldn't tell the difference. My taste buds suck. But I can taste the great flavor in an Ale that I no longer can taste in a lager.

I brew a good Imperial IPA. And my friends prefer it to the local favorite Imp IPA, because I go citrus bittering and flavor.

Personally, I like both, but I brew my preference ;)

I love green flash west coast IPA, that's my benchmark for a good IPA and it's more citrus.

However, if you load an IPA or something similar with chinook I'll be equally happy.

I prefer citrusy,but I'm going to add another pound of plain light DME to my BuckIPA. I used 2oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade hops,4.5oz of it in hop bursting. The grapefruit & bitter orange were good,but the lemon above that eventually blended into the grapefruit flavor. The orange lessened a bit. I'm thinking of changing the Nugget for Citra to get more orange flavor. Def citrus for me. Just want a little more malt backbone.

I usually have a bit of both in my IPAs, Willamette to bitter, Cascade to flavor/aroma. In my last competition, the judges really were bragging on the hops.

I started doing this because my LHBS was out of Columbus.

Back