I'm drinking a Pure Hoppiness...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
and it's amazing. It has a slight caramel and sweet bread malt character but is still quite dry for an 8% beer. Not as dry as Pliny but hey. Does anyone know what hops they use? It has a complex citrus and fruity nose with a touch of pines and spiciness. I'm assuming centennial, cascade, touch of simcoe, and something else i'm not familiar with. Could be chinook or some other American hop.

http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/press.php?x=1

"Full-bodied at 8 percent alcohol, the beer tantalizes taste buds with an unmistakable but not unmanageable hop crackle - McIlhenny uses two German hops, Hallertau and Hersbrucker, plus three American varieties, Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial. An initial peppery note fades as the Yankee hops add sharp, piney flavors"

Interesting combo, I need to play more with mixing European and American varieties (Hopslam does this as well).

Which varieties are used in hopslam? and yes I agree with you.

This is what I have seen reported in a few threads: "Bell's Hopslam - Hersbrucker, Centennial, Glacier, Vanguard, and Crystal in the kettle, and then dry hopped with Simcoe."

Back