Need help converting pumpkin ale from all-grain to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtron

Reaction score
I found a pumpkin ale recipe I want to try, but haven't made the jump to all-grain yet. The recipe is below:

10 lbs pale 2 row malt
1 lbs Special Roast
1 lbs Crystal 60
2-large cans libbys pumpkin � in the mash

1 lbs brown sugar @ 60 min
1 ounces Hallertauer @ 60 min
1 1/2 TBS PUMPKIN PIE SPICE, boil 15 minutes
1 tablet of whirlfloc @ 15 minutes
1 oz. Hallertauer finishing @ 5 minutes

Wyeast American ale yeast

To convert this to an extract recipe, I was planning on switching out the 2 row for 6lbs of extra light DME. Then use the 1lb special roast and 1lb crystal 60 as steeping grains. Would that work?

So I don't remember where I found this on here but I saved it just in case I ever needed it:

Grain/DME/LME is this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

You would be fine in steeping the Crystal and I'm fairly sure the same with your specialty roast though I would wait for another to comment on that, never used it before.

It is about time for pumpkin beer, huh? Where did this year go???

**Edit: I did forget to say but I'm sure you already know, your specialty grains will need to be crushed before you steep

Pumpkin in the boil will be messy, and you'll lose a little beer to trub, but it can be done. DME potential is 1.044 and 2-row is 1.036. If you had the SG of the recipe you are trying to convert, you can work through the numbers. I think you're close.

Yep, that will be fine. I'd put the pumpkin in with your steeping grains and let it go for an hour, then strain it all out in to a bucket and clean your kettle. Then re-add and boil as usual. This will most accurately re-create the AG process.

Yep, that will be fine. I'd put the pumpkin in with your steeping grains and let it go for an hour, then strain it all out in to a bucket and clean your kettle. Then re-add and boil as usual. This will most accurately re-create the AG process.

That sounds like a great idea. I'm planning on making two batches (wife loves pumpkin beer). If I steep the pumpkin and strain it out before the boil, I should be able to re-use the yeast, correct?

Back