1st Time Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
So I put together my first Cider recipe at the bequest of my wife who came home saturday night from a friends house saying "I had a really good cider over at Sara's house, do you think you could do that ?" Ive been brewing for about 2 yrs now so I figured I'd give it a try.. Thing is Im not sure what Im seeing or not seeing going on in the carboy. Im use to seeing a nice active fermentation going on. Does this not happen when doing a Hard Cider ? I see the bubbles in te airlock so Im assuming there is action going on down in the carboy. Is there anything that I should be aware of while fermentation takes place ?:confused:

You won't get a krausen with a cider, so don't worry! At the very most, mine will bubble like soft drink up the sides of the fermenter :) It's completely normal!

you can get a krausen with cider, just depends on the yeast used. I used Safale 05 and got some massive blow off. Still, not the same as beer though.

I've done one cider batch now, using us-05 yeast, and got a HUGE krausen that lasted for 3 weeks. I've now repitched onto that yeast cake with more juice straight from the cartons and once again have a massive fluffy foamy head, maybe 6 inches high, on top.

I had bubbles in the airlock for a good 2 weeks at least, then just an occasional bubble after that for the other week or two that it remained in there.

First week or so on the first batch I had bubbles like soda rising up the inside of the carboy as well, but this second batch I haven't noticed that at all.

Back