Good deal @ Beverage Factory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good deal to me. I got my kegging kit from Bev Fact. and havent had any issues with it.

Edit: Shipping to Pittsburgh is 50 bucks, making this a not-so-great deal for me.

What's up with the hansen valves? How do they work compared to the normal valves that you can pull to vent?

What's up with the hansen valves? How do they work compared to the normal valves that you can pull to vent?

I'm wondering the same thing. My preliminary research indicates that the hansen valves might be a one-and-done overpressure protection kind of thing, rather than the pull to vent style relief valves.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of valve who can shed some light on this? It seems that beverage factory is the only place around that has a decent deal going on kegs (AHS & morebeer are out of stock, and other places want $40-$50 per keg, plus shipping), but I don't want to get wet on a 'deal' if the hansen valves are problematic.

I have a few kegs that I got from cornykeg.com that have those "hansen" valves. My understanding is that they will release at a fairly high pressure. I've gone up to 30 psi while force carbing and I havent had any issues with them other than the fact they are a little harder to depressurize/vent headspace. I have to take the gas QD off, and push the poppet down with my finger/screwdriver. Its a bit of a pain, but then again its one less thing to worry about losing a seal.

Does anyone know at what pressure they release?

I came across this info not too long ago. I can't seem to find a link besides this mention in another forum (second to last post) that mentions 135 PSI. From what I recall that sounds about right since I remember thinking "jeez, when the hell would I ever get a keg up to 135PSI???"

At the very least, it's no less than 100 PSI. Kind of hard to blow them out unless you really, really tried...

Looks like the same price I paid for my Sabco's delivered and they had the standard vents. Not a bad price considering most places are sold out or crazy expensive.

Just glad I got good prices on my 15 kegs

I mentioned this kegs at my local homebrew store. He showed me the tops and said they are rated at 55 psi. He said they were worthless since you can't bleed off pressure and prime in the keg. Beverage Factory sells the correct lids for like $30 making this deal not so great as well.

Well, I've always used pinlocks, and none of them have pull releases. So a couple items here while you make your decisions.

1) Absolutely you can bleed the kegs. You just have to push down the poppet valve to do so. Perhaps not as convenient as a pull valve, but extremely easy. I even have a little tool to do it on my pinlocks.

2) They definitely hold greater than 55psi. 135 sounds more correct as I believe that is what is listed on the side of my kegs.

Well, I've always used pinlocks, and none of them have pull releases. So a couple items here while you make your decisions.

1) Absolutely you can bleed the kegs. You just have to push down the poppet valve to do so. Perhaps not as convenient as a pull valve, but extremely easy. I even have a little tool to do it on my pinlocks.

2) They definitely hold greater than 55psi. 135 sounds more correct as I believe that is what is listed on the side of my kegs.

I guess i need to preface my posts with 'I'm a newb and can only regurgutate information I read or hear' :)

Though that makes this sound better then! So, are these pin lock keys converted to ball lock would a pin lock lid? Now I'm extra confused!

i have been buying large quantities of kegs and keg parts over the past few years. it seems to me, the lid is the most expensive part. i have plenty of the lids that have the relief valve leaking, and its just not worth replacing them some times. finding a good condition lid costs as much as getting another keg in come cases for me.

the hansen lids are seemingly less desirable because you have to vent the head pressure through the gas poppet, so this is a way for this company to get rid of them.

So, are these pin lock keys converted to ball lock would a pin lock lid? Now I'm extra confused!

Based upon the listed dimensions, no it looks like these are proper ball lock kegs (not converted pin locks).

jonp9576 may very well be correct in that they had some either lidless or non-functioning lids kegs and this is a more cost effective way to move inventory.

Now, however, I am using complete conjecture. I have no real idea.

just to be clear, theres nothing wrong with the lids, some people just dont like them but they are completely functional.

i have been buying large quantities of kegs and keg parts over the past few years. it seems to me, the lid is the most expensive part. i have plenty of the lids that have the relief valve leaking, and its just not worth replacing them some times. finding a good condition lid costs as much as getting another keg in come cases for me.

the hansen lids are seemingly less desirable because you have to vent the head pressure through the gas poppet, so this is a way for this company to get rid of them.

just to be clear, theres nothing wrong with the lids, some people just dont like them but they are completely functional.

So which is it? Is the company going to sell kegs with bad lids?

The beverage factory kegs look like a great deal (although hansen valve) versus anything else I've seen. My local HBS has "regular" (non-hansen valve) ball lock kegs for $49.99. So, maybe it is worth the extra money?

I just pulled the trigger on the 4-pack of Hansen valve ball lock kegs from beveragefactory.com. I will report back here once I receive the kegs.

Back