Overcarbonated stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike-N'-Brew

Reaction score
Just opened the first bottle of my Broken Cherry Stout. About a second after popping the cap, a rush of caramel colored foam erupted from the bottle tip. I'm guessing I bottled "too soon."

Thing is, this stout went through a primary fermentation for 2 weeks, then a secondary fermentation with a can of cherry puree for a week, then a tertiary fermentation with 2 small cans of whole cherries (no sugar, just a bit of water) for a fourth week. Had a wee bit of secondary fermentation, but it didn't last. All told, that's 4 weeks in fermentation. OG was 1.074; FG was 1.032, which seems about right.

Only other thing I can think of is that I didn't really mix in the priming sugar a whole lot; just sort of relied on the turbulence coming from the siphon tube to do the work.

If the priming sugar is the issue, does that mean that some of these bottles will be overcarbonated and some will be undercarbonated? Any other thoughts? Thanks.:confused:

I've had these issues before. I would suggest stirring the liquid ever so gently after you siphon to make sure the sugar mixes well. To me its worth risking a little oxidation in order to make sure each of my bottles has equal amount of yeast food.

OG was 1.07; FG was 1.032
That's only 54% attenuation, which is very low unless you really loaded it with unfermentables, like maltodextrin. Your conclusion of pre-mature bottling sounds right to me.

Although the big can of cherry puree and 2 small cans of whole cherries are fermentable, they're not highly fermentable, so maybe that's (a part) of it.

Thanks guys.

Back