Juice concentrate question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
So the 100% juice concentrate cans say add 48 (sometimes 64) ozs of water and viola...you get 100% juice. So, my question is would it make any differance if I added say 32 oz of water per can to boost my OG instead of adding dextrose or whatever? Thanks. :mug:

You would, in essence, have a more concentrated jucie. Meaning, you would have more sugars. I would say it is a safe assumption to say it would up your OG. However, you would have to use more of a concentrate to water ratio to get the same volume for a higher specific gravity.

If you add less water, your OG will go up. I would be interested to see if you think it had more fruit flavor as well. I have made batches of applewine with juice and sugar and have made some with juice and just dumped in a can or two of concentrate. The OG definitely rises and I think it has a better flavor....but thats just me.

I make my high test apple cider with four gallons of regular juice and eight 16 oz cans (one gallon) of concentrate. I stagger the cans over a week so the yeast gets used to the new sugars.

So the 100% juice concentrate cans say add 48 (sometimes 64) ozs of water and viola...you get 100% juice. So, my question is would it make any differance if I added say 32 oz of water per can to boost my OG instead of adding dextrose or whatever? Thanks. :mug:

Its cheaper too

I've added as much as 1 can of frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) per gallon of 100% apple juice, works fine for me & it does give you more apple flavour. Regards, GF.

I know a recipe I just made using ordinary frozen grape juice called for 3.5 cans, and 7 pints of water, for 1 gallon of must.

I scaled up for 3 gallons and ended up at almost 1.090 for the OG.

just to give you something to go off. This was an established 'basic frozen concentrate' recipe off another forum.

Back