Question on aging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
I have a couple of New Glarus Barley Wines from 2005 sitting in my cupboard. They now have chunks floating in them.
Should I run the beer through a coffee filter or cool it and hope it drops to the bottom?
Will this beer be any good considering it's been at room temp for 7 years?
Thanks

"Chunks"? What color are they? At this point you may have a science project.

Nothing to be lost in chilling a couple, and probably no harm in then giving one the sniff and sip test. Go on from there...

Cheers!

At room temp,maybe not,since they have floaters in them. Beer should be stored at lower temps,like 50F or so to help them keep as they age. but 7 years might be pushing it either way.

Taste it and see. I would try it. It is high enough in alcohol that it should be safe.

I have a couple of New Glarus Barley Wines from 2005 sitting in my cupboard. They now have chunks floating in them.
Should I run the beer through a coffee filter or cool it and hope it drops to the bottom?
Will this beer be any good considering it's been at room temp for 7 years?
Thanks

Hey, I'm in Shorewood just south of Capitol... you should give them to me and I'll test them, let you know if they're worth drinking. :D

No seriously, they're probably fine. What do the "chunks" look like?

Back