Nitrogen/co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
So, my father past away about 2 years ago and I went over to my moms house today and was rummaging through his stuff in the garage. I found two probably 5 lb, maybe 10 lb, nitrogen cylinders and one regulator valve. I was wondering if I could get the nitrogen tank filled with co2? Also, was going to keep one nitrogen tank for stouts, but I'm not sure how to do the half nitro/co2. Any help would be much appreciated. Never kegged before but found these and thought why not if I would only need to buy a couple kegs and tubing.

I was wondering if I could get the nitrogen tank filled with co2? Also, was going to keep one nitrogen tank for stouts, but I'm not sure how to do the half nitro/co2.

I don't know the specifics of tanks, so I don't know if you would be able to put CO2 in a nitrogen tank. There's probably some sort of regulations about what gas can go in what kind of tank... I just don't know for sure.

The nitro+CO2 mix that is used for stouts is done by actually filling a single tank with a mixture of the two gases. It's often called "beer gas". It's not done by using two separate tanks.

No you can not, and should not put CO2 in a nitrogen tank. CO2 is a liquid when under pressure (why we call them 5#, 10# etc), Nitogen is stored under high pressure (as in a suba tank).

The regulators are different, and the burst disks inside are at different pressures.

If you can't put CO2 in a Nitrogen tank, or the other way around how do you get a "Beer Gas" mix?

Any help on this. I was looking at a Stout Keezer and need to see how it is done, could you use 2 tanks and mix it in the keg?

If you can't put CO2 in a Nitrogen tank, or the other way around how do you get a "Beer Gas" mix?

Maybe there is a tank specifically made for beer gas.

I really don't know. having a special tank and faucet just for stouts has always seemed a bit too much for me. I've only made maybe 3 or 4 stouts in my career, so the investment in special hardware doesn't make sense for me.

The cost does go up a bunch to have a tap just for stouts, but I love stouts and would always have one on tap, so I would be kicking my self for not doing it. But I need to know how you fill the tank.

Most gas companies will fill the tank for you. I looked into it a couple of months ago and the cost for a re-fill was 40 or 120 for a 10# tank. The problem I had was the cost of the tank, so I am going to wait.
You may want to check the pressure test date on those tanks, I found out that they have to be pressure checked every 5 or so years, at a fee of course.
But with that said, call around to gas companies and they will tell you where to go, bars get them filled somewhere :)

While Yes you could do a beer gas mix in those cylinders, good luck finding someone that will fill them up.
Near me, NoVa/DC area, the only way to get Beergas is using an oxygen/gas supplier (Roberts) and they will only exchange tanks, and their own tanks at that.
The Beergas tanks they have use regular CO2 regulators, not the special nitrogen regulators.

If need be, sell some of the canisters and then find a place that will sell beer-gas mixtures already in the bottle?

Sell one of the nitrogen tanks, or maybe you can exchange one at a welding store for a CO2 bottle. You can do "nitro" with CO2 and N2 in separate tanks. You carbonate with CO2 first then switch to N2 for serving. Then switch back to recarbonate, etc. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

You can also find mixing valves that connect to both tanks.

Sell one of the nitrogen tanks, or maybe you can exchange one at a welding store for a CO2 bottle. You can do "nitro" with CO2 and N2 in separate tanks. You carbonate with CO2 first then switch to N2 for serving. Then switch back to recarbonate, etc. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

You can also find mixing valves that connect to both tanks.

I've never heard of such a thing, actually think I've seen a couple statements that there isn't. That said, I trust your word more than the "average random person on the internet :mug:"

Happen to have a link to what you're talking about?

Nitrogen tanks are rated for a higher pressure than co2. I'd think that if you can find a place that'll fill the tanks you'll be able to fit substantially more gas into a given cylinder but that's just internet gained knowledge speaking....

You could also use one to have wine on tap...

Look at the tank, on it will be a stamp. This stamp will tell you under what specifications the tank was made. It refers to the standard it was made under. In the US this is the Department of Transportation (I do not know why). In Canada this is Transport Canada (and no they do not recognize each other). I do not know what it is in the rest of the world.

They will be stamped with the specification and the last inspection dates. If a shop fills them without checking or worse fills them when they are expired they can loose their license and go to jail. You can possibly loose your life as really bad things can happen.

I have seen tanks go bad after about 10 years. I have tanks that have had their dates marked over, three times. There really is no way to tell other then to have it inspected.

As for the tanks themselves CO2 and Nitriogen are stored in different ways. CO2 is a compressed liquid that expands rapidly under higher temps (go read the posts about CO2 tank safety). Nitrogen is a compressed gas and does not react so extreme to heat. The necks are different and are not interchangeable.

Each tank has a burst disk on it that will burst if the pressure gets too high. A Nitrogen tank has a different burst disk then a CO2 tank. If your burst disk (in any tank for that matter) pops I really hope nobody is near that tank. Please do not put CO2 in a tank made for nitrogen.

RE: mixing valves for separate co2 and nitrogen tanks.

Do a google for "trumix". These are used in restaurants/bars and they are used for pushing the beer long distances. They generally come in varying pre-set adjustments; i.e. 40% co2, %60 nitrogen, 20/80, etc.

Ok I have had to do a lot of looking because I wanted to have a beer gas set up, here are a few things I learned.

First of you are looking for "beer gas" or 70% Nitrogen 30% Carbon Dioxide Blend or 70% N 30% CO2 blend. You are not looking for Nitro, N2, or Nitrogen Dioxide.

The place I get my gas runs as an exchange not a fill up. I would recommend finding a service like this. I am able to exchange an empty CO2 tank for a full Beer Gas tank. Obviously I have to pay for the gas but they will take a tank for a tank. This is nice because if I ever want 2 CO2 tanks I can have that, or one Beer Gas one CO2 like I have now. This also makes it so I never have to worry about re certifying my tanks.

Beer Gas cost twice as much, CO2 refill is ~$10 Beer Gas is ~$22. You also "get" less volume, as CO2 will liquify at 700 Psi, I am not sure the PSI needed for N but it is very high. So CO2 will turn to liquid in a tank but the Beer Gas will not.

I have received tanks which are filled with Beer Gas in both CO2 and N tanks. CO2 tanks are only rated for I think 2000 psi or something close to that N tanks are rated much higher I think. Where I exchange tanks the Beer Gas tanks are always filled to 1500 PSI in Beer Gas.

The regulator I have can be used for CO2, N, or Air. You do need a regulator that can handle high pressure to dispense Beer Gas. N tanks also have a different threading, there is a converter for CO2 threads to N threads.

I guess if I was the OP I would find an exchange center so I would have the ability to use what I need.

Also the purpose of the Beer Gas is so that you can serve at a high pressure and not over carbonate the beet. You want the high pressure so you can use the restrictor plate to whip the beer in stout faucets. The whipping action makes the creamy head and the cascading action. N does not absorb into the beer where as the CO2 does. So when you have a 70% N and a 30% CO2 Beer gas and set it to 30 PSI you will have the same carbonation level as straight CO2 set to a PSI of 10, but can serve at 30 PSI making the delicious creamy head. However the end resulting beer will appear to have less carbonation because so much CO2 is knocked out in the restrictor plate and ends up forming the head.

Back