cornie keg cleaning ? - oxyclean ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devin_mac

Reaction score
i'm new to kegging (clearly) and just like the title says, i wanna sanity check that i can give my cornies a decent soak in oxyclean. i was figuring on filling them up with hot water and a scoop of the stuff, and then after 12 - 24 horus, empty and rinse, so they'll be good to go when i'm ready to sanitize and keg my first kegged batch.

thanks!

Oxyclean works great on kegs. I have left it in keg for a week with no issues.

If you haven't, you might want to take the keg apart and check all the seals before you keg with it.

yeah, i'm going to be taking them apart and inspecting/lubing the o-rings and whatnot. beyond that, it's clean and then hook up the gas with the keg filled with clean water, to pressure test them while i wait for the first to-be-kegged batch to finish secondary. :)

+1 on Oxy. I let it soak for an hour or so, overnight if it is new to me and really, really gunky. The rinse well, sanitize, hit it with ~24-30psi to seal, bleed it, then pressurize again and store them!:)

so you guys pre-sanitize your kegs when you clean them? do you re-sanitize just before filling with fermented deliciousness?

after I oxyclean mine, I usually do a small solution of starsan. I like pressure testing with this because of its habit of foaming or bubbling. Also, after I put pressure on it, I'll depress the liquid post to force starsan through the dip tube just make sure everything gets nice and sanitized.

so you guys pre-sanitize your kegs when you clean them? do you re-sanitize just before filling with fermented deliciousness?

I don't sanitize until just b/4 fill.
I take each keg apart after it goes dry and soak the posts, poppets, gas tube, lid, o-rings and pressure relief valve in small bucket of oxyclean. I rinse and use a dedicated toilet cleaning brush with oxyclean solution, then soak the keg overnight. Next day rinse everything real good, dry and put the small parts in a ziplock and store keg upside down with parts bag on keg foot. When time to fill soak the parts in Starsan for a couple minutes, run some starsan through the long dip tube using a spray bottle of Starsan. I reassemble the keg, pressure check for leaks, bleed pressure, then fill with a quart or so of starsan, put the lid on and slosh it around inside the keg for a minute or so. Dump and fill with beer.

What kind of oxyclean do you use? there are so many different "kinds" of oxiclean...

Make sure you get Oxyclean Free. This can be more difficult to find but there is no dyes or perfume. Making it easier to rinse and not having to worry that the smell will be absorbed by the beer.

Back