Too much gas in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant8344

Reaction score
With my last batch, every time I open a bottle from the batch there is a ton of gas. I have about two seconds to pour it in a glass before it spills over. However, taste-wise the beer itself is perfectly carbonated, which is why I can't say that I put in the wrong amount of sugar during the bottling phase.

Any ideas?

Few reasons.
You bottled too soon, and fermentation wasn't complete thus leading to over carbonation.
You used too much priming sugar. 3/4 cup (1 oz per gallon) for a 5 gallon batch is a good starting place.
You did not completely mix your sugar solution...you'll find flat bottles if this is the case.
Gusher Infection. Not likely if it tastes good.

Anyone gonna add this thread title to the quotes thread?

Hmm, thanks for the quick replies.

I used the 1-2-3 rule (1 week, 2 week, etc) and made sure to take a hydrometer reading before moving to the secondary. It has been in the bottles for about 6 weeks now.

It's possible I didn't mix it correctly, but so far no flat bottles.

The weird thing is, if I overcarbonated it, wouldn't the beer taste overcarbonated?

Hmm, thanks for the quick replies.

I used the 1-2-3 rule (1 week, 2 week, etc) and made sure to take a hydrometer reading before moving to the secondary. It has been in the bottles for about 6 weeks now.

It's possible I didn't mix it correctly, but so far no flat bottles.

The weird thing is, if I overcarbonated it, wouldn't the beer taste overcarbonated?

I have a bunch mostly ok, one bottle bomb, and a bunch flat.

One rule to remember is that the colder the beer, the more CO2 it holds. If you're having lots of problems with the beer foaming up excessively when you open it, chill it as cold as you can. It'll decrease the excess foaming.

Back