Alternative Sugar Beer St. Lou Honey Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP840
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
17.2 IBU
Color
4.49 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 55F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 Weeks @ 48F
Additional Fermentation
2-3 Weeks in bottle at 65F
Tasting Notes
Crisp flavor with a cleean finish. Touch of honey. Just the right hop flavor.
.8 lbs. American Caramel 10°L
3.3 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
2 lbs. Rice Syrup
.5 lbs. Honey
1 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 45 min.
1 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP840 American Lager

Start buy heating 2.5 gallons to 150 F while steeping the grains for 30-45 minutes.
Remove the pot and add extrcts, stiring well to disolve. Return to heat and start hop schedule.
Add Honey at 45 minute mark.

Add yeast at 60F and start primary at 65-70F for 2 days to start fermentation, Then move to cool basement floor (this should be at about 55F depending on where your at in the country and what season.) for 10 Days.
Bring up to 70F for a D rest for 24-48 hours then transfer to a glass carboy and start secondary at about 48F for at least 3 weeks, 6 months would be ideal.
Prime and bottle as usual and let cellar at 65F for another 2-3 weeks and then enjoy.
I've brewed this a few times and get great reviews from friends and family!
I can't wait till the fall gets here so I can do about 3-4 batches for next summer!

I have made 3 batches of this and they all turned out great! In about another month I plan on doing a brew day and doing 3 in one day!
This is a great recipe.

Sounds like a plan!
Make sure to do a d-rest. I will start this in about 3 weeks so I can use a cold basement floor. In St. Louis its still pretty warm as of yet.

so this is a lager? I live in Memphis and down here we dont have basements. Is there a way I can control to get the right temp in my fridge?

I've been looking for a good and easy lager to try. I think this is it. Just have to wait a bit longer for the basement to get cool enough. Did you have to use a swamp cooler to get the temp down? Also, do you think the secondary is necessary? I've never racked to secondary for any ales.

cappy said:
I've been looking for a good and easy lager to try. I think this is it. Just have to wait a bit longer for the basement to get cool enough. Did you have to use a swamp cooler to get the temp down? Also, do you think the secondary is necessary? I've never racked to secondary for any ales.

I would rack to secondary, can't hurt it IMO. Maybe just clear it up a little better. Swamp coolers are too much of a hassle for me, just buy a used refrigerator, and put a custom thermostat in it, very very useful

Back