high gravity beers that would appeal to BMC drinkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
anyone have a good recipe(s) thats high gravity to have for company that only drink BMC?

pearls_cartoon.jpg

*Has no idea what you're talking about*

Why high gravity?

Just make them a nice pale but not too hoppy. Go with the low end of guidelines on the hops. Thats a good intro to people who are used to BMC.

I'm hosting a party in a few weekends, I did a keg of YooperBrew's Corn Cream Ale. It's really freakin' tasty, too, I have a feeling that keg isn't gonna last long. :drunk: If they don't find the Apfelwein first. :drunk: :drunk:

I doubt there is a high gravity brew that would appeal to BMC drinkers. Since they like crappy beer, they dont like the flavors associated with good beers (hoppy, malty, roast etc). Most high gravity beers (especially the "imperialized" version) take one or more of the tastes to an extreme. You might be able to get them with Barleywine for the complexity of flavors however.

There may be a few Belgian beers that would work for BMC drinkers, but you're going to run into the problem of many high gravity balanced beers being "too bitter."

You could always try a Tripple. Then when they don't like it you have a great beer for you to drink. :)

BMC drinkers, I'll put this off topic comment here, as it's not worth starting a new thread about it.....My Step daughter drinks only bud in bottles. Yesterday she had a can and poured it into a glass. "I hate having to drink beer from a glass" She said.

My diplomatic silence was screaming louder than Howitzer with a cornie up it's ass.

Here's Papa Charlie's recipe for Malt Liquor from his Homebrewer's Gold Book.

It appears to be a clone of Olde English 800.

Olde English 800
5 Gallons

OG: 1.055 (13.5)
FG: 1.004 (1)
ABV: 7%
Color: 4.5 SRM
Bittering Units: 14

3.5 lbs. American 2-row pale malt
3.75 lbs. American 6-row malt
3 lbs. flaked corn
2 HBU (56 MBU) American Cluster hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1.5 HBU (43 MBU) American Nugget hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast

A step infusion mash is employed to mash the grains. Add 10 quarts (9.5L) of 130-degree F (54.5 C) water to the crushed grain and flaked corn, stir, stabilize and hold the temperature at 122 degrees F (50 C) for 30 minutes. Add 5 quarts (1.9 L) of boiling water. Add heat to bring temperature up to 150 degrees F (65.5 C). Hold for about 60 minutes.

After conversion, raise temperature to 167 degrees F (75 C) water, lauter and sparge with 4 gallons (15 L) of 170 degree F (77 C) water. Collect about 6.5 gallons (25 L) of of runoff, add bittering hops and bring to a full and vigorous boil.

The total boil time will be 105 minutes. When 10 minutes remain, add Irish moss. After total wort boil of 105 minutes (reducing wort volume to just over 5 gallons), turn off the heat, then separate or strain out and sparge hops. Chill the wort to 65 degrees F (18 C) and direct into a sanitized fermenter. Aerate the cooled wort well. Add an active yeast culture and ferment for 4 to 6 days in the primary at 55 degrees F (15 C). Then transfer into a secondary fermenter, chill to 50 degrees F (10 C) to age for two more weeks, then lager for two to four more weeks at 40 degrees F (4.5 C).

When secondary aging is complete, prime with sugar, bottle or keg. Let condition at temperatures above 60 degrees F (15.5 C) until clear and carbonated, then store chilled.

*shakes head*

BMC drinkers, I'll put this off topic comment here, as it's not worth starting a new thread about it.....My Step daughter drinks only bud in bottles. Yesterday she had a can and poured it into a glass. "I hate having to drink beer from a glass" She said.

My diplomatic silence was screaming louder than Howitzer with a cornie up it's ass.

Are you 100% positive that she's your daughter and not the mailman's? :D It seems she's missing a few of your EAC genes.

My condolences ;)

Are you 100% positive that she's your daughter and not the mailman's? :D It seems she's missing a few of your EAC genes.

My condolences ;)

STEP daughter. I think that means that although not genetically related, I still have the right to smother her in her sleep? ;)

Back