Adding hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made this which calls for 1/2oz Saaz hops. It has been fermenting along for a few days now so I have no idea how it is gonna taste... It smelled delicious before popping the airlock on it though!

One of our local meaderies, B. Nektar, makes an IPA mead. I didn't particularly care for it, even though I like the others they make. On their website I linked to, they say they use Chinook, Cluster and Cascade.

Sounds tasty. If ya dont mind, shoot me an update when she's finished.

Should be a few months before it is ready to drink, but if I remember I will!

Also dont know how to classify this mead. Based on the brief descriptions on gotmead.com it can be a Cyser, a Melomel, or a T'ej. I prefer the latter because it sounds cool! Any thoughts on what this can be classified as?

First mead I made was with 16 pounds local and 2 oz of chinook. Called it "hops and honey" and won thrid place a local wine competition in the "other" category. It was really good, hops didn't shine but did add a nice complement to the honey. Honey was just a local wildflower but was way better than the stuff I get from Dutch Gold.

When i did it i boiled the honey amd some water, added the hops and let them go for aboit a half hour. Then i added my fruit. No idea how it turned put yet but it smells good!

I just started a one gallon experiment batch this past weekend after trying and loving B. Neckter's 'Evil Genius' the other week at a beerfest.

3lbs wildflower honey into carboy
2 earl-gray tea bags - steeped in two cups of 212f water for 10 min (only poured maybe 3/4 of a cup in the carboy)
Boil 1 gallon water
.25oz Chinook for 30min
.25oz Cascade for 10min
pitched S-04

Had an OG of 1.110

I plan on letting it ferment out then transfer to secondary for 1 month. I'm thinking of dry-hopping it, with some whole leaf German Tettnang I have lying around, for a week after the month of secondary but wont decide till I draw a sample then. Going to carb it to 1ish volumes when I bottle.

I do not think it would be considered T'ej just because it is hop based. T'ej is a traditional Ethiopian honey wine/mead made with dried leaves and wood from the gesho tree, shiny leafed buckthorn. I know there are many alternate recipes out there using woody hops in place of the gesho. Interesting question though. I do enjoy the T'ej I have made with the gesho you can now find at Ethiopian shops and such. You can find gesho in a shop in CA, http://shop.brundo.com/product.sc?productId=38

Back