Pomegranate Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewIt

Reaction score
Anyone ever try making an ale with pomegranate? Im sure people have. Im thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or foundations to start on.

Thanks,
Dave

I would be curious for find out more about this, I have a couple pint jars of home canned pomegranate juice.

I heard that it doesn't taste good. But, not from experience. I make a rock'n mead with it though. I you challenge you to make it with a wheat beer and report back.

Good Luck

I've won some ribbons for this one (locally and the State Fair); pretty tasty. Ages well.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.42 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) US (3.5 SRM) Grain 79.21 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.90 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.48 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.48 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
1.00 oz First Gold 2007 [6.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 4.95 %
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
2 quarts pomegranate juice added after 7 days to primary.
Maybe leave out sugar and some malt. The juice really boosted the abv's. But on the other hand...maybe that is what made it so good.

I have a recipe featured in a book about beer that I was really proud of. I was trying to do a beer reminiscent of New Glarus' Fruit Beers Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, only with Pomegranate.

4gal
4lb 2-row
2lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 60
.5oz carafa III

mash high - 155-157
.5oz saaz 60min
16oz pomegranate molasses (end of boil)
wlp400 belgian wit

after fermentation
1gal of pomegranate juice (i used fresh juice from a farmers market that I knew was free of any additives or preservatives)

You end up with a 5 gal batch. 4gal beer/1gal juice. i have no idea what the ABV is because I dont know remember the gravity of the juice pre-fermentation. The 4gal base beer is about 4.25-4.5%abv. OG 1.046ish. FG 1.012-1.014. This is a very fruit forward beer. I mash very high, even with the pound of crystal because the juice and molasses (which is just juice reduced into a syrup) will ferment out leaving the beer very dry. You need the malt sweetness to balance as well as give the beer some body so it doesnt taste like a pomegranate cider. It came out like a sweet, yet tart and slightly dry from the tannic quality of the pomegranates. Its more of a dessert beer ala Belgian Red/Raspberry Tart or dare I say, the Lindemans lambics.

Back