Cold Water Mash-in, then ramp up temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarkinBanks

Reaction score
With a new little one in the house I am always looking for ways to be more efficient with my brew day. I have a CB20 system and also a new ghetto RIMS small batch single vessel system that I am working on. Both are electric and run off the same PID control box.

So here is my question, can I mash-in my grains in cold water and add heat and recirculate up to my mash temp? I'm not worried about scorching the grains, what I am asking is whether the ramp up from a cold water mash-in would have any adverse effect on the beer. I searched here and on the internet and couldn't find anyone who has tried this. I saw one post that says some commercial breweries do this, but I haven't seen it in the homebrew circle.

The only argument I can see against it is that you might be needlessly going through a lot of rests. If you have well modified malt, there might not be any reason to to through the protein rest range and lower. Also, depending on how fast you can heat, you might spend too much time in the 140-150F range, which would produce a much drier beer than you intended. I know of at least one brewery that wet mills/doughs in with 120F water, then ramps up, but they are using a steam jacketed kettle.

Thanks for the reply. Ramp up on my small batch system would probably be around 20-25 minutes, but on my full batch system ramp up would probably be an hour with the recirculation so that is a good point, it would probably be too long and end up too dry. I will give it a whirl on my next small batch and see how it goes.

Back