Opinions on this simple recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
I just bottled a AHS Texas Blonde and I am thinking of doing something simple like this but then secondary over fruit and use different hops.

The Texas Blonde was
4# Light DME
1# Corn Sugar
1 oz Cascade (I think) at 60 Min

My idea was:

6# Light DME
.75 Cascade @ 60m
.5 Citra @ 15
.5 Citra @ 5

Secondary over 3 lbs Strawberries and Orange Zest

Any Idea what this would be like?

Any suggestions? Tweaks?

I am fairly new to brewing but I have found I love Citra hops and wanted to do something simple for a summer fruity beer that involved Citra.

Looks good! You'll end up with a light beer with a nice balance of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. The secondary with fruit should work fine. Don't be surprised when the yeast start active fermentation again when they hit the fruit sugar.

Two additional thoughts:

1. Yeast is a vital part of any recipe. Because of the fruit, you probably want a clean, fairly high attenuating yeast - you might try a dry yeast - Fermintis' Safale US-05. If you decided you wanted a more English character, you might try US-04.

2. Have you tried steeping grains, like caramel malts, in your brewing? If not, you might try it - they give flavor, color and body to the beer, making it more complex. You can read about this process, called extract with steeping grains, at www.howtobrew.com or you can get excellent DVDs on brewing at basicbrewing.com

Hope this was helpful! :tank:

I love the idea of Strawberries and Orange zest. I haven't brewed in nearly a year (eek!) but the itch is coming on strong once again. I may have to copy you.

If you do it, let us know how it goes eh?

Back