dunkelweiss: OG in beer alchemy way different from recipe book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
thinking about doing the following dunkelweiss, from a homebrewer's recipe guide book I have:

6 2/3 wheat extract (55/45)
1.5 dark malt extract
0.5 choc malt
0.5 roasted barley

The recipe guidebook says OG 1.043

I plugged the numbers into Beer Alchemy, and I'm showing OG 0f 1.062

pretty big difference! Especially since I'm considering entering in a local oktoberfest homebrew competition... and 1.062 is out of style...

Anyone have any ideas on why the two numbers are so different?

Thanks

beersmith calculates this one at 1.072

we talking dry or liquid extract? they have a different potential SG, which may account for some discrepancy.

and is that 6 2/3 lbs of extract or 6 lbs of 2:3 extract?

style guidelines for SG are 1.044 - 1.056, so shoot for something in that range by changing the amount of wheat extract

also, IMHO, i would avoid the roasted barley in a dunkelweiss, that will make it too roasty.

I'm pretty sure it's 6.6666666 lbs of liquid extract, if it was dry it would be even heavier.

I've noticed that Beer Alchemy predicts that my grain steep will raise the gravity more than I think it actually ends up doing.

Could there be anything else that the authors of this recipe were thinking when they said the OG would be only 1.043?

Back