boring out quick connects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tch1980

Reaction score
I've been having trouble with my chugger cavitating. I spoke to them and they said it needs full 1/2" flow to the inlet. Has anyone tried to bore out the SS Bargin Fitting connectors or have any other solutions to the problem. I really don't want to take a drill to all the fittings I just bought.

That pump is useless imo if it needs a full 1/2" to work. My 2 march pumps work flawlessly with ye old brass qd's.

_

I have a March running beside it. They said the bore is smaller and it runs fine. I'm trying to avoid buying more fittings. But I guess I may have to. When I get the chugger to pump it runs great and it is quiet too. Just need to work the bugs out of my system.

I have a March running beside it. They said the bore is smaller and it runs fine. I'm trying to avoid buying more fittings. But I guess I may have to. When I get the chugger to pump it runs great and it is quiet too. Just need to work the bugs out of my system.

That sucks, considering I got my pump new for $7 more than a stainless head chugger.

-

The march pumps and chugger pumps are pretty much identical. If you're into stainless heads and don't want to pay $$$, then a chugger is the way to go. They both have similar priming issues, which makes the application of such a pump a real PITA. They're designed to stay primed, which is hard to do when using QD's that get swapped.

Weird. I haven't had any problems with my SS Chugger. I used Bobby's method for connecting hoses though. Just used street 90s and threaded the hoses on instead of using hose barbs. I would say your issue isn't the QDs themselves, but how you are connecting the hose to the QDs.

Another note, my friend bought some thin wall silicone hose that would collapse when the pump was turned on. Make sure your input hose isn't collapsing. I currently use 1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicone hose with no issues.

If you're into stainless heads and don't want to pay $$$, then a chugger is the way to go.

That's the part I don't get. Everything in the head is polysulphone. It's like having a plastic brewpot and putting a stainless ball valve on it. I still have yet to have any priming issues with my pumps(3). Just a little learning curve.:mug:

Yes, but you don't see the polysulphone. The head is just bling, with a little durability. But really, who is screwing fittings on and off the heads all day long, right? I do like the bling though, and it was still cheaper than the non-bling March.

Weird. I haven't had any problems with my SS Chugger. I used Bobby's method for connecting hoses though. Just used street 90s and threaded the hoses on instead of using hose barbs. I would say your issue isn't the QDs themselves, but how you are connecting the hose to the QDs.

Another note, my friend bought some thin wall silicone hose that would collapse when the pump was turned on. Make sure your input hose isn't collapsing. I currently use 1/2" ID 3/4" OD silicone hose with no issues.

The QD's I'm using are 1/2" but they are not full flow. more like 3/8" my tubing is 1/2 X 3/4 silicone. I'll look into getting the street 90's. they also said that may be part of the problem restricting the flow at the inlet because I have a threaded 90 off the inlet with a male QD after it.

the chugger has a bigger inlet than the March ...thats why it cavitates with less than 1/2" fittings.... Its not Useless....if you want to defy the laws of physics and use less than 1/2" you will get les flow and pressure ...go get a Mcdonalds Milkshake and use a cocktail straw to drink it ...same principal..thats what you are doin gto any centrifugal pump when you undersize the inlet or extend you suction line

Back