fermentation temps ale vs lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
can someone give me a round about temp range that most ales vs lagers ferment at? is a standard refrigerator enough to get to lager temps etc?

The ones I have used can get to lager temps okay, they just don;t hold those temps very consistently.

I don;t know of any lager yeasts that work well below 45*F but, I don't know all the yeast strains either. 60*F seems to be the bottom end for most of the Ale yeasts I have used but, I am sure there are some that can handle lower.

Consider using a refrigerator with a temp controller. You'll be able to set whatever temps you want that way. They're usually about $60, google: johnson a419

can someone give me a round about temp range that most ales vs lagers ferment at? is a standard refrigerator enough to get to lager temps etc?

I ferment my lagers around 50 degrees. If your lager is too cold and isn't fermenting very well then put it up to room temperature for a day or so. My lagers have been doing fine as low as 45 degrees though.

I ferment my ales and "room temperature" which is usually 65 degrees. For ales that I want more of the fruity esters I brew in the summer time when the house is 70 ish....

Back