Did I ruin My Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Yesterday I did a full 5 gallon batch on my stove. It was an extract kit with grains. Once I got the first boil bubble, I put in the first round of hops. However, I noticed that despite the stove being on high, it never really got a "rolling" boil !! I checked the temp of the wort and it was around 210- 211 degrees for most of the "boil".

My question is this.....if this beer doomed from the start and should I dump it, or will I be OK with it. I will probably go with split boil next time, but want to make sure this one is ok to keep fermenting.

Thanks in advance.

What was the boil volume? How many hops did you add. Typically, a normal house stovetop cannot get more that 3 gallons to a rolling boil. Even 3 gallons is a stretch. Also, the more hops you add, the "thicker" or more viscous the wort becomes.

Don't throw it out. Let it go and see what happens.

The marginal effort required to add some yeast and see what happens is almost 0. So if there's even a remote chance you'll have something good, don't dump.

In this case, your chances of having something drinkable are good. Let the yeast do their thing.

Boil volume was 5 gallons. Added 2 oz of centennial and 2 oz of cascade hops. Temp actually got to around 210-211 degrees for most of the boil.

Back