Temp of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
My cherry stout is currently in the primary. I am using Wyeast # 1028 London Ale Yeast. I brewed it on Friday and left it upstairs in a closet. On Sat AM the temp of the beer was around 72 degrees. So I brought it down into the basement. Sat & Sun I had activity all day. While being in the basement the beer temp kept going down. This morning there is no activity and the beer is around 64 degrees. The opt temp for the yeast is 60-72 degress it says. Do you think the beer is done fermenting or do you think the temp change might have shocked the beer? I am trying to warm it back up right now to around 66-68 degrees. What do you guys think?

I think most of the fermentation is probably done, and that'll be the reason for the drop in temperature.

Check the gravity, and if stable for a few days, it's done and probably ready for the secondary.

That is a fairly large temperature drop. Even though it is within the fermentation range, it's quite possible the yeast went dormant. Still it could be done & checking the gravity is the only way to be certain.

Back