how to tell between uneven priming versus infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
In some of my batches, I have a few bottles with a large amount of carbonation. They aren't gushers, but when I pour the first ounce or so a huge head forms, and I have to pour really slowly to fit in a pint glass. It's not uncommon for me to have 2-5 bottles per batch that behave like this.

I'm wondering if it's wild yeast or if it's because my priming sugar isn't evenly distributed. I put the boiled priming solution in the bottling bucket, then rack on top of that.

Because it is so carbonated, it's tough for me to pick up off-flavors that indicate an infection. I think it tastes slightly astringent when it is like this, but I'm not even sure I understand what that word means...

Any thoughts?

What are you using for priming? Also, I would suggest stirring it up at least. I always add the sugar after I rack it to the bottling bucket, then stir it real well.

Does the beer in all the bottles look the same? Have you done a side by side with a good beer? You might have to let the one in question degas a little.

What are you using for priming? Also, I would suggest stirring it up at least. I always add the sugar after I rack it to the bottling bucket, then stir it real well.

+1. I used to get unevenly carbed batches until I started gently stirring the beer after racking on top of the priming mix. Key word being gently. You don't want oxidaton.

I think the real question is how long have the beers been in bottles. In early stages of carbonation, the CO2 is not absorbed into the beer yet and something similar to thi will happen where there is a huge head. Revvy has a video where he opens a beer at different stages of carbonation. It is really good and educational. Not sure where that video is, I know its on youtube, but do not have a link.

I would be careful with stirring the beer when bottling. I personally add half to the bottom of the bucket, 1/4 halfway through and the remaining at the end and stir very carefully and slowly to mix in the priming solution. The last thing you want is to wait a month for a beer and then oxygenate it. Just something to think about. I did get better carbonation by doing it like this though.

Thanks everyone. I use corn sugar for priming. It's been in the bottles for 6+ weeks.

I think i'll swirl the racking tube a bit next time I rack into the bottling bucket, in hopes of mixing up the priming solution a bit more.

Back