Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how have all of you done with your primary/secondaries? i noticed the original recipe calls for a month in each, just wondering what else works for timing as i'm brewing this in a week or so and don't know if i want to wait 2 months.. i'll be carbing it in my keg so at least that saves a couple weeks

Rules are meant to be broken. :D

Do 2-3 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks max in the 2ndary. Personally, I think these two shorter durations are pretty good. I don't think the extra time is really make much of a difference.

Let us know how it is in 5 weeks or so.

Well I am going to try making this all grain this weekend, but I messed up at the LHBS. Instead of the Special Roast, I grabbed the Special "B". It will still be beer, but I am thinking it will be darker, and I am not sure what else.

Well I am going to try making this all grain this weekend, but I messed up at the LHBS. Instead of the Special Roast, I grabbed the Special "B". It will still be beer, but I am thinking it will be darker, and I am not sure what else.

I think you are right. It will be darker, I think it will not have the same roasted taste but it should still be good. I think special b its often used as a sub for chocolate malt. It has a tendency to create raisen/plumb note. Give it a shot.

I am wondering if somebody else did this and posted their results. I think so, not sure if it was an AGr extract brewer.

Edit:

Ok - I checked the grains section for you in brewing for dummies. The special roast contributes a biscuit flavor, whereas the special b contributes a caramel chocolate-nutty flavor.

how have all of you done with your primary/secondaries? i noticed the original recipe calls for a month in each, just wondering what else works for timing as i'm brewing this in a week or so and don't know if i want to wait 2 months.. i'll be carbing it in my keg so at least that saves a couple weeks

A friend and I did two 10 gallon batches of this for a St. Paddys Day party and was served 3 and 4 weeks from brewing. Both tasted fine. Only one gallon was left from the 15 gallons kegged. Dennys Favorite 50 was used.

Well my first all grain with this recipe went great. I hit all the numbers, mash temp, pre-boil gravity, post boil gravity, and total volume. So now to wait a while and see how it tastes. Thanks a lot for the recipe!

P.S. oh yeah I did the low hops version.

I made this beer on July 15 and bottled on August 1. Just tried one today. Very good! I made the batch for a friend who has graduated from Massage Therapy school and is having a party this weekend. She likes Irish Reds, so I volunteered to supply her with beer this weekend. I used the less hopped all-grain version and am very pleased. Thanks for the recipe.

IMG_20110821_135431.jpg

IMG_20110821_135449.jpg

i have a week in the primary for this so far.. i think i'm going to primary it for a total of a month, then do the slow 10-12 psi method in the keg for a week as well.. just started to keg so that'll be my first full batch this way, hopefully it'll all work out and i can mimic the great pics i've seen so far..

I think I'm going to try this one next, although I may go with Fuggles instead of the Willamette hops.

Also, since I can't find Caramel Pils around here, what do you think about subbing Caravienne for the Caramel Pils and dialing back to a pale chocolate malt to keep from going too dark? I want to make sure the beer still turns out nice and red. It wouldn't do to show up at an Oklahoma tailgate with 5 dozen bottles of orange beer. ;)

This is a fine beer. I made it in the spring. Add some roasted barley (3 oz) to get the red. I also added an ounce of peat smoked malt to add a bit of earthiness to it. It has been a favorite of my visitors this summer. Thanks for the recipe.

I think I'm going to try this one next, although I may go with Fuggles instead of the Willamette hops.

Also, since I can't find Caramel Pils around here, what do you think about subbing Caravienne for the Caramel Pils and dialing back to a pale chocolate malt to keep from going too dark? I want to make sure the beer still turns out nice and red. It wouldn't do to show up at an Oklahoma tailgate with 5 dozen bottles of orange beer. ;)

The sub for caramel pils is carapils and crystal 10L. 50% of each to make a crystal 5L. You can get this from Northern Brewer too.

This is a fine beer. I made it in the spring. Add some roasted barley (3 oz) to get the red. I also added an ounce of peat smoked malt to add a bit of earthiness to it. It has been a favorite of my visitors this summer. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad you like it, this is on my next to do list.

The sub for caramel pils is carapils and crystal 10L. 50% of each to make a crystal 5L. You can get this from Northern Brewer too.

That explains it - I actually hadn't checked Northern Brewer. If I can't find something local I tend to check Austin Homebrew, because it's about the shortest shipping distance I can find for that big a selection.

this recipe calls for Caramel Pils Malt Belgium, if I can find domestic Caramel Pils Malt is it just find? Is the only difference where it came from?

Just bottled today! 3 weeks in the fermenter, nailed the FG of 1.012, and it's a GREAT red color. Smells delicious, too. We'll see how it comes out in 3 or 4 weeks.

Just ran a second batch of this - subbed in Maris Otter for the base malt and stuck with the Fuggles in place of the Willamette. This batch is for an end-of-November tailgate party, although I may just give them the first batch, since this one came out right at an OG of 1.049 and I had six full gallons worth into the fermenter. :D We'll have to see which one I like better and give the tailgaters the #2 batch.

Successful first ever brew day for me. Started AG with support from a friend. 5 gallons in the fermentor aiming for a great brew for family Thanksgiving. Efficiency was near 90% so OG came in around 1.057 with a deep red color. Can't wait to taste this!

I took your recipe to our homebrew club and we all made it using the same bulk ingredients. I switched out the yeast for Nottingham for price and convince.

There were about 12 different batches and many of them were totally different. One extract brewer hardly stirred and it looked like a porter. My batch (and a few others) fermented too high and it tasted Belgium-y. Some were amazing. It was a cool project and thanks for the recipe.

Also, my dad recently made a smaller batch of this using the American yeast 2 and 33% of the base as Munich. It's no joke one of the best beers I've had. Again, thanks!

Also, my dad recently made a smaller batch of this using the American yeast 2 and 33% of the base as Munich. It's no joke one of the best beers I've had. Again, thanks!

You're welcome.

My homebrew club has done stuff like this for competition. We all make the same beer then judge who's was best. You get wildly different results. Lots of fun to do.

One of the best beers I've made! So smooth and delicious after the diacetyl calmed down. Thanks for the recipe! It may become my house brew

So i just bought a pound of carapils and a pound of special roast

My ******* told them to put it in the same bag. Im still going to brew so how bad will that pound of special roast affect it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

So i just bought a pound of carapils and a pound of special roast

My ******* told them to put it in the same bag. Im still going to brew so how bad will that pound of special roast affect it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I'd pitch it and try again. The taste will be completely wrong

Brewing a 5 gallon batch of this right now. Went with the lower hopped version and used the 10L crystal and carapils 50%/50% substitution. I will update in 5-6 weeks after I try the first bottle.

I am trying to find a nice red to put on my new Stout faucet. Would anyone who has brewed this recipe recommend it served on such? Thanks!!!

I am trying to find a nice red to put on my new Stout faucet. Would anyone who has brewed this recipe recommend it served on such? Thanks!!!

Anyway you serve it, this recipe is great. I've made made 50 gallons or so and we are about to mash in another 5 right now.

Brewing a 5 gallon batch of this right now. Went with the lower hopped version and used the 10L crystal and carapils 50%/50% substitution. I will update in 5-6 weeks after I try the first bottle.

So, 6 days in the bottle (prob only 1 1.5 volume of CO2 so far) and I cracked one open tonight! Great Brew!!! Wonderful beer, my best beer brewed since I've re-started after moving to Portland!
Thanks Scrapper, I will be brewing more of this, it will go fast!

St Teresa's Irish Red Ale.jpg

Making another batch on Wednesday, a friend of ours drank up my first batch - her favorite beer ever & she demands more!

Getting the ingredients today. Maybe brewing Friday or early next week.

Wife asked for an Irish Red, this looks to be a good one!

I'm going for my first all-grain brew session tomorrow, and I'm using this recipe. Going with the 21.1IBU hop schedule and a 2oz roasted barley addition to the grain bill to give it a little more redness without adjusting the flavor profile too much.

Will post in 3 weeks when it comes out of ferm. :D

cadwallion said:
I'm going for my first all-grain brew session tomorrow, and I'm using this recipe. Going with the 21.1IBU hop schedule and a 2oz roasted barley addition to the grain bill to give it a little more redness without adjusting the flavor profile too much.

Will post in 3 weeks when it comes out of ferm. :D

This was also my first All Grain brew last year and I too added a few oz of roasted barley. The end result was absolutely delicious, but it missed the style mark of an Irish red. The flavor was great, although not a red, and the color turned into a dark amber. Good luck!

First batch finishes minimum bottle conditioning tomorrow; noticed it came out considerably more brown copper than the copper-red I was going for, but it tasted great (albeit flat). Will post more tomorrow after first tasting while carbed, but I'm brewing another batch tomorrow after tasting to adjust accordingly. Next batch I'm giving more time to age as well, as its part of 3 recipes for 4th of July celebration.

Latest posts

Back