Hop substitutes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchK9

Reaction score
Looking through "Clone Brews", there is a recipe for Bass Ale. The original recipe calls for Northdown @ 9% AA (9HBU) hops, and Challenger Hops.

Since I can't find them, can I substitute German Northern Hops for the Northdown, and Kent Goldings for the Challenger?

The hop substitution chart here is good as well.

Challenger subs are Perle or Northern Brewer
No sub listed for Northdown.

I guess I will try the Northern Brewer for the Challenger Hops, and since I have no clue for the Northdown, I might try some home grown Cascades.

Thanks for the help!

I think Fuggle or Wilammette would be a better sub for Northdown than Cascade. From what I've read ... I've got a Northdown plant, but haven't had any harvest from it yet.

I should add: that's if you use them for flavour/aroma, not for bittering.

Northern Brewer should be fine for the bittering hops, and Kent Goldings excellent for flavor and aroma. If you can't get the Kent Goldings, U.S. Goldings, Fuggles (US or UK) or Willamette should be fairly close.
I definitely wouldn't use Cascades if you want enything remotely resembling Bass (especially for the later additions).

-a.

Back