Mandarin Oranges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Anyone ever brew with oranges or other types of fresh citrus? I wanted to
do a German Hefe with some fresh mandarin oranges in the secondary. Let me know what you think or have done in the past.

I'm sure getting the zest of the orange would work great, not sure about using a whole orange...

I did the blood orange and it's on tap now. Consensus is that everyone loves it!! My opinion, is that it could use just a bit more oranges, but alot of people say that the subtle bit is just perfect.

I did as the recipe states, but turned it into all grain. Zest from two oranges, meat from 4, heated in water like stated, then added to primary. I kegged after 10 days, and was drinking after 3 or 4 days!!! I'll definately do it again. :)

Howdy,

I did a Blood Orange Wheat from the Maltose Falcons' site.
I used 10lbs. of blood oranges zested and juiced added to the secondary. The orange flavor is unreal.
The zest was a bit over powering at first but it has mellowed nicely in the keg. A tasty brew and gets good marks from my brewclub members.
I'll use the zest and juice method the next time I make a wit too.

Bob

I made a super hoppy IPA with grapefruit, orange, and lime. I used all of the rind from 2 of each fruit, and then I extracted all of the juice & pasteurized it. I added the rind in the middle of the boil and the juice right near the end.

It was f***ing delicious. After about a month or two in bottles it tasted like fresh, resiny, hoppy grapefruit delicious beer. It's a bit past it's prime now (about a year and two or three months later), but it's still great. Also, once I peeled the fruits, I put the rinds on foil and toasted them in a toaster oven for a bit in a drying attempt. It didn't dry them, but it brought the oils out which I'm sure helped once the rind was boiling.

This was the label for it:
zingsmalljpgsm1nd5.jpg

Thanks guys! That gives me a base to start with . I really like these mandarin oranges they are very juicy and sweet. I think they will provide a good flavor. I'm trying to decide on a Wizen or a wit for the base recipe.

I made a super hoppy IPA with grapefruit, orange, and lime. I used all of the rind from 2 of each fruit, and then I extracted all of the juice & pasteurized it. I added the rind in the middle of the boil and the juice right near the end.

It was f***ing delicious. After about a month or two in bottles it tasted like fresh, resiny, hoppy grapefruit delicious beer. It's a bit past it's prime now (about a year and two or three months later), but it's still great. Also, once I peeled the fruits, I put the rinds on foil and toasted them in a toaster oven for a bit in a drying attempt. It didn't dry them, but it brought the oils out which I'm sure helped once the rind was boiling.

This was the label for it:
zingsmalljpgsm1nd5.jpg
Can you give me the broad strokes of this recipe and if you have perfected it since then?

Back