Dry Hopping in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've searched all over and haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm dry hopping for the first time and planned on putting 1oz in a hop sock and then dropping that in my primary. Primary fermentation has already finished. I know there's people who say rack to secondary to avoid Co2 carrying off the aroma but I'm not really worried about that. My main concern is how the hops will affect the yeast from this batch since I always wash and reuse my yeast. Thanks for any advice!:mug:

The hop residue makes it harder to clean, or " wash" the yeast out of the trub & hop stuff. Secondary to dry hop if you wanna wash the yeast. Just my 2c...

If you're containing the hops in a hop sock (boil it first!), then you should be fine to do it in the primary. The hop sock will contain the hop debris and allow you to re-use the yeast.

Mostly, yes. I still got some of the lighter stuff getting through with the muslin hop socks. The fine mesh nylon ones are better.

I tried once to use the yeast cake from a beer I dry hopped. I don't try it anymore. I would either:

- make extra yeast in starter to avoid having to harvest yeast cake
- don't dry hop
- don't reuse this yeast cake
- dry hop in secondary

I'd use a bag of some sort if you want to harvest yeast and do it in primary. I'd also use more dry hops (assuming 5gal batch....or not)

Back