What style is most accepting of "all extract"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Lately I haven't been brewing much for time/financial reasons. I've been thinking of doing some extract batches, in between AG batches. What styles do you think can be done successfully with extract (e.g. Porters)?

With steeping grains at least, I presume? Doing full boils, or just partial on the extract batches?

Assuming "yes" and "no," Porters should be fine, so should stout. English ales. APAs if you're using dry extract. Most beers, really, other than stuff that's terribly specialized. Jamil's new book basically shows how to make ANY style with extract, but he's usually calling for you to purchase stuff like Pilsner or Munich extract, not just using basic LME or DME.

If financial concerns are playing a role, I'd be focused moreso on recipes where you can get a nice outcome using a cheap dry yeast (including the styles I mentioned). An exception might be a hefe - which can be done very effectively with extract, doesn't require a lot of extract, and has no steeping grains.

the_bird said:
With steeping grains at least, I presume? Doing full boils, or just partial on the extract batches?

Assuming "yes" and "no," Porters should be fine, so should stout. English ales. APAs if you're using dry extract. Most beers, really, other than stuff that's terribly specialized. Jamil's new book basically shows how to make ANY style with extract, but he's usually calling for you to purchase stuff like Pilsner or Munich extract, not just using basic LME or DME.

If financial concerns are playing a role, I'd be focused moreso on recipes where you can get a nice outcome using a cheap dry yeast (including the styles I mentioned). An exception might be a hefe - which can be done very effectively with extract, doesn't require a lot of extract, and has no steeping grains.

In my case, with steeping grains and full boil. I was just looking for people to throw up the style they've had the most success with when using extract...

Second the Hefe....I've done some pretty tasty stouts and robust porters with extract/steeping.

I did an extract/steep hefe for my last batch to get something in bottles quickly that would be ready to consume quick. It was pretty interesting to go back to the stove top/kettle/late addition/brewed and cleaned up in 2 hrs. :)

brewt00l said:
Second the Hefe....I've done some pretty tasty stouts and robust porters with extract/steeping.

I did an extract/steep hefe for my last batch to get something in bottles quickly that would be ready to consume quick. It was pretty interesting to go back to the stove top/kettle/late addition/brewed and cleaned up in 2 hrs. :)

Yeah, I'm looking to do a 2 hour Porter. I haven't brewed in less than 5 hours in many months...

Soulive21 said:
Yeah, I'm looking to do a 2 hour Porter. I haven't brewed in less than 5 hours in many months...

it was kinda a no-brainer session compared...but wow, I sure wouldn't want to go back to paying extract prices per batch.

Soulive21 said:
In my case, with steeping grains and full boil. I was just looking for people to throw up the style they've had the most success with when using extract...

With steeping grains and full boils there are only a hand full of styles you couldn't do (ones with high levels of adjuncts). I think a lot of people have trouble with extract batches coming out too dark (I know I did) so anything dark would be easy. With a full boil you could do beers that call for a lot of hops...IPAs etc. with no problem.

It's easy to make a really good porter or stout with extract and steeping grains. Steep some chocolate malt or roasted barley, boil pale extract, toss in hops at the start, and you're good to go.

This is the Porter recipe I'm planning...

6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 72.53 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.0 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 10.99 %
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)

Soulive21 said:

Looks interesting...I would prb drop the brown sugar or at least reduce the quantity.

My absolute favorite all extract batch so far was an American wheat with honey and orange peel but I don't suspect you like the style much. Extract is just so expensive and if you couple that with the increased hop prices, it's getting out of hand.

Bobby_M said:
My absolute favorite all extract batch so far was an American wheat with honey and orange peel but I don't suspect you like the style much. Extract is just so expensive and if you couple that with the increased hop prices, it's getting out of hand.

That wheat recipe could be cool with Bavarian yeast. This extract batch is coming from 6.6lbs of pale LME I've been sitting on for 2 months. I'm not buying new extract for it...

British styles are best extract candidates, as that's the sort of malt that usually goes into them. That's a fairly good looking recipe, too, although I just don't like black patent in porters (and especially not half a pound). Consider going with chocolate, instead.

TL

I think the Belgians are nice for extract - especially wits. With a good deal of the flavor coming from the yeast, the extra tastes you may get from extract will be less prominent.

That's a good point. I'm sending out a belg wit in the swap and it's all extract. This was the only extract batch I've done since going all grain. I'll never do it again due to the cost though.

Now I'm wondering, I can just steep Special Roast right? I don't HAVE to mash it, do I? I'm not using it for fermentables...

Soulive21 said:

Looks Yummy, I would through a big chunk of bakers choclate in the last 15 min. of the boil..MMMMMMHH!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back